certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I have always seen these, but never had 2 right next to each other to show the differences in how the little arrows go.
What are they for?

20180208_192351_resized.jpg

20180208_192355_resized.jpg

cb

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I thought they had to do with when in the day the the part was made.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I had read that the arrow pointing to the 1,2,3 dots indicates the shift , and the arrow with the 8 dots indicates the hour of the shift the casting was done. :shrug:

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
octa-decimal time keeping?

cb
Nothing that complicated.:)

My understanding is:
The shift indicator would indicate the shift the casting was done. (may not necessarily be three shifts running)
The hour arrows are moved each hour of the shift to indicate when the castings are made.
This would help track future issues that may arise with the castings, and could help narrow down problems with the cast materials or molds.

I know I've seen similar markings on other cast parts.
Not necessarily the same, but different manufactures may have their own versions.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Anythings possible. Would be interesting to find the answer to this puzzle.

xatu40

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
DeBary
State
FL
Is there a date stamp elsewhere on the housing? Trying to decipher the significance of the shift and hour. Hard to believe that there would be that many issues that could be tracked to a specific shift/time. Can't wait to hear the official answer.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Is there a date stamp elsewhere on the housing? Trying to decipher the significance of the shift and hour. Hard to believe that there would be that many issues that could be tracked to a specific shift/time. Can't wait to hear the official answer.
30.JPG

Attachments