Dana 300

splogue

Legacy Registered User
City
Norfolk
State
Va
I know this information is out there somewhere but I cannot seem to find it.

Without the Dana 300 shift level attached, how can I tell what the status is of the transfer case? When I look at it both the "shift rails look to be stick out the same distance.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Can you pry them one way or the other? Not sure what the rail lengths should be, but both rails all the way out (longest) is 4hi, both rails all the way in (shortest) is 4lo. Inside rail is rear, outside rail is front. So, pull/pry the inside rail all the way out for rear high engagement and pop the outside rail to the "middle" for front neutral. I do not think a stock box will let you do hi-lo or FWD, so it should be pretty straightforward.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
IIRC, the rail closer to driver side controls the front output and the one closer to passenger side controls the rear..

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
IIRC, the rail closer to driver side controls the front output and the one closer to passenger side controls the rear..
Incorrect. The rail closer to the driver (assuming passenger drop config), or closer to the transmission slides the collar on the input to rear output shaft. The rail closer to the passenger, or closer to the front output slides the collar on the front output.

1566225504270.png