walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I'm sure I've seen a post or two from people doing their own decals, but just looking for a confidence boost. Is a nooby capable of doing a complete set of decals feasible as a one man job? I'm looking to cut costs on a skyrocketing expense build (more on that at a later date).

Thanks in advance!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I paid an experienced decal dude $50 to help me. It is not too hard, but a few tips:

1) Buy that gel stuff the decal people sell. This allows you to easily move/straighten out the decals, and gives you time to get them in place.
2) Get the squeegee thing the decal people sell. This allows you to push out wrinkles, and the gel.
3) Get a second set of hands to help you out.
4) Install them in the shade.
5) Take your time.

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I paid an experienced decal dude $50 to help me. It is not too hard, but a few tips:

1) Buy that gel stuff the decal people sell. This allows you to easily move/straighten out the decals, and gives you time to get them in place.
2) Get the squeegee thing the decal people sell. This allows you to push out wrinkles, and the gel.
3) Get a second set of hands to help you out.
4) Install them in the shade.
5) Take your time.
Thanks Spanks! I did the dash pinstripes which weren't too difficult, but they were a fraction of the size, obviously. I have all of the supplies from Phoenix - the only difficult thing will be finding shade 0_0 I'll probably end up doing them in the garage, and I can probably convince my father in law to help.

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
We have done a couple sets. I don't really have the patience it required but my dad does, I just lent an extra set of hands when needed.

spankrjs suggestions pretty well sums it up.

What style kit you putting on?
This might help with location dimensions.
https://www.cj-8.com/threads/81-84-scrambler-laredo-decal-dimensions.49671/
Thanks Jason, some of those measurements are going to be real helpful - especially the Scrambler lettering. I'm doing the 81/82 Renegade decals, and I hope it ends up looking like this:

0.jpg

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
That's a helpful picture! Shows that the rear "hooks" come up right to the quarter panel joint. I figured there wasn't much room, but can see the side stripes just skirt the door opening and the rocker trim as well.

Apart from that, I think a lot of it will wind up being "does this look good from 5yds away?"

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
When I had JeepAddict's "Yard Scrambler", original paint/decal '83 Renegade, I took precise measurements of the decal placement on the driver side. When I went to measure the passenger side, all the dimensions were different. I compared "Yard Scrambler's" decal dimensions with another original paint/decal '83 Renegade, again, all dimensions were different.

The "Does it look good from 5 yards away" is the best approach IMO, and less stressful :thumbsup:

One other "note" - if you are going to run rocker trim, install it BEFORE applying the decals. Ask me how I know :crazy:

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
I did mine too, first time. Had a second pair of hands. Used a good quality spray bottle with dishwashing soap or special decal soap, fresh razor blades, a new needle, and a squeegee. Did the same set including hood decal. Went well. Ran the rear decal up the body line. Press the razor blade into the decal to cut it. Do not slice it, may damage paint underneath. Start with smaller decal at the rear. Tape it in place for general location and fitment. Remove it. Spray body thoroughly, peel the backing off, set the decal in place and move it around and squeegee very carefully once it’s placed. You will get most bubbles out. Smaller bubbles should dry up. Can use a sharp needle to prick large bubbles to release water but you probably won’t have any. Had to cut decal near rear fender well, pressing in with razor blade. Do one small area, squeegee out air bubbles, let it sit, small bubbles should dry up in a day. Wait a day, look at it, think about it and continue on from there -it will work out fine. My rear sticker is not in line horizontally with the rocker decals, but from what I have seen, they aren’t originally. Good luck!

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Wait a day, look at it, think about it and continue on from there -it will work out fine.
My plan exactly. One or two at a time until I get them all laid down. No hurry at this stage. I should have plenty of razors and needles at work, I'll probably look out for some alignment tape to lay down, maybe painters tape? A wax pencil?