• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Designing a new top.

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
An idea popped into my head the other day to make a military style wagon-cover soft top for the scrambler. The idea would be to run the half-hard top on the front and then in the rear bed of the jeep I want to have it covered on all three sides. Before I elaboarte on the plan, here is a picture of a land rover defender I found with a similar sertup to give you guys an idea.

haVOs2s-1.jpg

In order to support the top, I will use the existing roll bar for the front, and then fab up a similar roll bar for the rear. I plan on mounting it using my existing wood rail holes. This way I would have to do any major work to the tub and it could be removed easily. For the cover fabric, using the existing bestop belt rail system that I have installed from the supetop I own, I plan on getting a a long piece of tarp and span it from one side of the tub all the way to the other. I looked at the bestop rail system on my top and it appears to just be a thick piece of plastic sewn to the edges of the fabric. I feel this is an easy task and I'll tackle it all this week, hopefully I'll have pictures by the end of this weekend!

I plan on creating a cup-holder type bracket to mount to the inside of the tub. Then, I could just place the U-shaped tubing in both holes and just drape the fabric over.
JQGwRcr-1.jpg

And here's the belt rail system for anyone unfamiliar.
Gcv5fjf-1.jpg

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
There was something very similar for sale on eBay within the past 6-8 months.

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
There was something very similar for sale on eBay within the past 6-8 months.

Cool, do you have any pictures of it or a link so I can get some inspiration? Do you remember if it was a custom job or from an old company? Anything would help, maybe I could look it up.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
It's somewhere posted on this forum; custom job I think. I can't seem to find it with a search...