Did Jeep only make CJ8s from 1981 to 1986 ?

jpdeuce

Basic User
City
Houston
State
TX
As far as I know. And I think the ones that were "86" were like 85 leftovers or something...I don't think it was a complete model year.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
FWIW, I think that '86 only saw 128, they were definitely leftovers assembled from whatever was on hand. I bet there's a few '86 -8 floating around with 44 rear axles, like the -7s.

I think I saw that number in print somewhere once... it stuck in my head anyway.

wylder

Basic User
City
petaluma
State
ca
South American Scramblers?

I was told that Scramblers were still produced in South America up until 1991 or so. Does anyone know if this is true?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
wylder said:
I was told that Scramblers were still produced in South America up until 1991 or so. Does anyone know if this is true?
I believe that is true, they are also still produced in the Middle East under license from D/C.

JEEPNJAX

Legacy Registered User
City
Magnolia
State
TX
Wylder / John N,

I'm not sure what year they are, or if they are actually called "Scramblers", but what I can tell you is that I see (I'll call them Scramblers with a YJ Front Clip) them all over the place in Cairo Egypt. Their military uses them by the hundreds... One of these days I'll take a few pictures of them, and nose around to see if I can find out more about them...

In the meantime, I'll go with the concenses being 81 thru 86, with 86's being leftover 85's...

Thanx,

Jax
JEEPNJAX

TLCOR

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
?
John N said:
I believe that is true, they are also still produced in the Middle East under license from D/C.
Yep, I have one of those. Korean Ssang Yong Korando, regular roof, D44s, Isuzudieselengine + drivetrain..

Thanks for the replys guys !

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
TLCOR said:
Yep, I have one of those. Korean Ssang Yong Korando, regular roof, D44s, Isuzudieselengine + drivetrain..

Thanks for the replys guys !
Man, I would love a diesel like that. How's the torque and pulling power?

TLCOR

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
?
TexasAg77 said:
Man, I would love a diesel like that. How's the torque and pulling power?
Actually my long Korando (from now on Ill call it "CJ8") are missing the engine. But I have another Korando, same as CJ7 (from now on "CJ7") that have the exactly same setup. I am very pleased with the low-rev. performance and the whole drivetrain ratio. But I cant really drive faster than 150 km/h, I think the tourqe-curve takes a dive at high RPMs. But it pulls great and has a amazing low-range..

TLCOR

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
?
Fudd said:
What Isuzu diesel do they have the 2.8 turbo?
Actually the "CJ7" have a Daewoo made DC23, used by Toyota for example for commercial use. Its a 2,3 liter I4, they use a larger version of these in Isuzu Troopers with turbo and intercooler. They are all over our junkyards, so thats a future project..

Fudd

Basic User
City
Winchester
State
VA
TLCOR said:
Actually the "CJ7" have a Daewoo made DC23, used by Toyota for example for commercial use. Its a 2,3 liter I4, they use a larger version of these in Isuzu Troopers with turbo and intercooler. They are all over our junkyards, so thats a future project..

Interesting.. those are the ones with the same block as the Daewoo C2OGET right? I have a rare pontiac version of that engine :D

TLCOR

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
?
Fudd said:
Interesting.. those are the ones with the same block as the Daewoo C2OGET right? I have a rare pontiac version of that engine :D
Dont know. What Pontiac is it that you have ?

Fudd

Basic User
City
Winchester
State
VA
Pontiac Sunbird GT turbo, has a turbocharged 2.0 four banger. Not a sports car by any stretch but its definitely the fastest sunbird in town lol.