Difference between 84 cj motor and 88 yj motor?

og48

Basic User
City
Amador City
State
Ca
I recently purchased a project scrambler and it may need a new motor. It currently has the original 258 4.2. There is a motor from a 1988 YJ with the stock 258 for sale near me. Is the motor a simple bolt in swap?
Thanks in advance

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Oh, that cant be good...
Luckily, this was funny more than anything else. Right after I imported the blue Overlander ('83 production year), I took it to Firestone for my state safety inspection and an oil change. We couldn't figure out why their prescribed oil filter wouldn't fit. I even walked across the street to a Pep Boys for another oil filter. It didn't fit either. I took pictures of the used filter (fatter and squatter) and actually put that back on the Jeep as we had no other options (other than trying random filters). When I got home, I looked up the code on the oil filter which took a bit of time because it was an Australian or foreign brand. That was another reason we couldn't find a quick replacement. However, the filter did come up for different post-CJ Jeeps including YJs. I then went to the engine and looked at the engine stamping. Between Jersey and me, we concluded it was a replacement 258 from a YJ. I'm not sure Andrew (PO) knew this but I might have forgotten he told me. The Overlander has over 150,000 miles on it so not too surprised to see a rebuilt or, in this case, a replacement engine. I just never figured one 258 would take a different oil filter than another. With a little more front end research, I should have seen it by looking at the fatter oil filter and figured it out ahead of time.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I use a filter from a V8 J truck, it has a little more capacity than the 258 CJ spec'd filter.