• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

diffrent size skid plats from a t-176 to a t-4 or t-5

One ton

Legacy Registered User
City
Fredericksburg
State
Va
I'm trying to put my trans in and skid plate will not work. It is not right, Was there diff size plates? If i move it up to line up holes in trans it hanghs ove the side of the frame. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I'm trying to put my trans in and skid plate will not work. It is not right, Was there diff size plates? If i move it up to line up holes in trans it hanghs ove the side of the frame. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I think there were two different skidplate/crossmember designs, but the belly-pan style that you probably have has several holes and is designed to go forward/backward not only within those holes, but also to another set of nutserts on the frame. This was designed to accomodate a large variety of transmission; so many that I'm pretty sure there are waaaay more crossmember location options than there ever were transmissions. Because the frame is tapered in this area, AMC couldn't design a "universal" crossmember that would sit flush under all circumstances.

Set the crossmember up, get the transmission mount nuts started, and look at the frame. That will tell you which set of crossmember holes and nutserts you need to use to bolt the crossmember up. I've found that they don't always line up perfectly, and I frequently find myself using a driftpin and floor jack to help manipulate the crossmember. Use lots of antiseize on these bolts. Send me a card with a gift certificate the next time you need to remove the crossmember.

One ton

Legacy Registered User
City
Fredericksburg
State
Va
I got it to line up but had to jack the frame apart about a inch and a half. and it went in the first hole and it stickes out 1 inch on each side of the frame. Dont know if it is right but it is all i could do.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
From at least 82 to 86 when the transmissions you reference were available the belly pan was the same but uses different holes in frame. There are 4 holes in the frame and 3 in the pan. The t176 is shorter so it uses the forward 3. It sometimes takes some massaging and yes it will stick out when used in the front location as the frame narrows from rear to front in that area.

Last edited:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
The jack the frame apart description alarms me I'll admit i havent had to do that but I have had to many times move the skid plate around using a large long punch and go side to side a bolt at a time to get it in.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
My T176 equipped Jeep the skid sticks out a bit on the frame. My T5 equipped Jeep it's flush with the frame. Skid uses different holes in the frame for both.