• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Direction of rear hanger

finorman

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Could someone confirm for me that the “eye” of the rear hangers points towards the front and the bolts go rear-most.

Also, the hanger doesn’t seem to sit flush on the frame because the crossmember from the gas tank sits higher.... is there a shim or a nut that goes there to sit flush?

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
Could someone confirm for me that the “eye” of the rear hangers points towards the front and the bolts go rear-most.

Also, the hanger doesn’t seem to sit flush on the frame because the crossmember from the gas tank sits higher.... is there a shim or a nut that goes there to sit flush?
Yes the "eye" for both the front and rear hangers are toward the front on mine.

The rear hangers have a very slight offset. Mine are flush to the frame without any spacers/shims.
Yours look like they are in the same location as mine.
Have you tried placing it with only one bolt to see if it will set flush, and maybe see where the issue might be? :shrug:

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
The rear most bolt appears to be upside down with a nut to tighten (maybe the capture nut came off and this was the fix?). I'd look at that closely as it looks a bit sketchy... If that bolt can float around in the hole at all, it will cause alignment problems. Also, maybe as a result of the bolt moving out of position, the bolts don't look parallel in your photo. Do they screw in fully flush with the frame without the shackle hanger in place? What is the space (center to center) between the two nuts in the frame compared to the holes in the shackle hanger?

Last edited:

finorman

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Yes the "eye" for both the front and rear hangers are toward the front on mine.

The rear hangers have a very slight offset. Mine are flush to the frame without any spacers/shims.
Yours look like they are in the same location as mine.
Have you tried placing it with only one bolt to see if it will set flush, and maybe see where the issue might be? :shrug:
I think I can see the problem... the hanger isn't actually flat... it has a little curve over it that allows for the metal from the crossmember to go under it, and the curve allow it to lay flat once it is tightened.

The rear most bolt appears to be upside down with a nut to tighten (maybe the capture nut came off and this was the fix?). I'd look at that closely as it looks a bit sketchy... If that bolt can float around in the hole at all, it will cause alignment problems. Also, maybe as a result of the bolt moving out of position, the bolts don't look parallel in your photo. Do they screw in fully flush with the frame without the shackle hanger in place? What is the space (center to center) between the two nuts in the frame compared to the holes in the shackle hanger?
I just had the bolts from the inside to mock up... yes they broke off... both on the right and the rear on the left. They are are real PIA to fix. My solution is I bought a $7 wrench set from Harbor Frieght and cut the head off of the 11/16th (IIRC) wrench and welded it to a flange nut that will fit a 7/16ths bolt... with the bolt and nut welded together I slid them into the frame and was able to get a finger on the cut wrench to hold it down and started to tighten the bolt from the outside. Once it started to thread the nut spun until the welded wrench caught the inside of the frame and couldn't spin any more.

On the side with both the nuts broken I created a template from the hanger of where the two holes are set apart. This template was on a thick piece of sheet metal (maybe 1.5 x 3 inches) that would slide through the holes in the frame. I then welded flange nuts onto the piece of sheet metal over the holes I drilled from the template. Then I lined up the holes and screwed in the bolt... when it started to catch it only turned the metal template so that it hit the sides, while the holes were lined up.

I figured out the at I'm not seeing the hanger align at 90 degrees to the frame because there is no weight on the springs to flatten them out and elongate them. Thanks for the pics... they really helped.