DIY Half Doors?

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Since the post about the uppers hdttm started has me thinking, which is not always a good thing. But I have a set of full doors that are kinda crappy and beat up pretty bad. Has anyone ever made a set of YJ/TJ half doors out of full hard doors that will work with a hard top and TJ uppers?

hdttm

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashfield
State
MA
I think the CJ and YJ full hard doors are pretty compatible. My guess - of course it can be done, but might take a lot of work. From what I have here:

The YJ half doors fit fine, but there is a about a 6" drop after the upper hinge and that then goes straight across to the latch and YJ handle, so I think the hard door handle would also need to be cut out and moved down to use TJ uppers, so I think there would be a lot of cutting and welding there, not to mention moving the linkage.

Very interesting if you want to make a set of hard doors into halves. I'm thinking the easiest way might be to cut out the upper window part, remove the glass and all of it's related hardware to reduce weight - that way you don't have to move the handles. And maybe then shorten a set of TJ upper soft window frames. I have the picture of how it would work in my head, but difficult to describe.
Here's just a comparison of the full hard doors (CJ and I think would be the same on a YJ):

The handle is much higher on the hard door:
Full door.jpg

The YJ half doors latch fine, but the handle is lower:
Half door.jpg

I can take better measurements and pictures if you or anyone likes. I've gotten the half doors stripped down to paint

Todd

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Forgot how much the handles differed, probably not worth the effort to go this route. Thanks for the pics and reminder of the differences. Gonna keep working on restoring the stripped doors and keep searching for half doors