Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
It's sure dark inside the cab at night. Did CJ's ever come with a factory dome lamp of some kind? I thought I saw a reference to one mounted on the window frame but haven't seen anthing like it sence. I'm running the factory 1/2 cab so I can't mount it on the roll bar.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
I know some folks have mounted a dome light in the top of the cab and had wire disconnects the body point where the top and body meet. Also one of those battery powered push light would stick right to the roof of the top and be fairly unabtrusive. We had a thread about this on here with several ideas.

Truck

Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
Truck said:
one of those battery powered push light would stick right to the roof of the top and be fairly unabtrusive.
Truck
Can't do the battery powered lights up here. Cold weather zips them dead over night...

City
Hammonton
State
NJ
Mine has lights mounted under the dash, on either side. They stopped working years ago, and I've never bothered to fix them.
My old VW Thing had a cool little map light mounted on an edge near the top of the dash. It was just a small metal cylinder, and when you opened it the light went on. It did a pretty fair job of lighting up the front seats, and I don't imagine it would be hard to mount something similar in a CJ.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Can't do the battery powered lights up here. Cold weather zips them dead over night...
Sorry Craig, I forgot that you were in AK and I can't believe I forgot how cold it gets up there around Fairbanks/North Pole. Don't miss that but miss everything else. Anyway maybe the lights on a rearview mirror or the dome light with a disconnect (like on a trailer) would help you out.

Cheers,

Truck

B

BritScrambler

Santa brought me a dome light (from JCWhitney I believe) this year that mounts to the roll bar (above, vehicle centre, behind head). I haven't installed it yet. Of course I would not install a door switch (much of the time I am Door-less :eek: ). :D

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Autozone sells a dome light for under $10, I mounted it on the above the rearview mirror on the windsheild frame. I snaked the wire through the frame. Lights up the cab very well.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Lights???

Lights, we don't need no stinkin lights. You just need to be in your '8 enough to be able to just know where everything is by feel. ;)

Also, don't you have daylight for like 6 months straight??? Well at least starting in a few months?

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
I have 2 tiny lights (silver cased approx 3"x1") screwed into my windshield frame. The wire for them goes inside the frame and comes out under the dash. I am still trying to wire them up to the headlight switch. Oh, I also have the inside floorboard lights. Between everything, it lights up pretty well. I am debating an inside light from a grand wagoneer. These have integrated map lights and would work well for my rear passengers.

Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
TexasAg77 said:
Lights, we don't need no stinkin lights. You just need to be in your '8 enough to be able to just know where everything is by feel. ;)

Also, don't you have daylight for like 6 months straight??? Well at least starting in a few months?
The light is for the Wife... She isn't real fond of the Jeep. I think she will enjoy the open top rides this summer alot more then the cold mornings now.

She did tell me last week that she has allways liked the old full size two door Chiefs... I'll have to explore that... Who knows maybe we will be a two Jeep family! :-)

Stouttrout

Registered Jeep Nut
City
Sour Lake
State
Tx
On my CJ7 I installed an "under the hood light" and put a switch on it. The light is mount on the Dash, the switch is just under the steering wheel. It light up the whole cab but dos not look that fancy. Was very cost effective though :D

On the CJ8 I am going with a map light review mirror. It will tie into door switch mounted in the door jams. it will also have an interuptor switch to disable those switches jusy incase I want to ride with doors off.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
I picked up a stock pair of the under-dash lights on eBay and wired them to door switches I put in the door frames.

Also, while replacing the windshield frame and windshield, I added a new rear-view mirror with switchable map lights, and added these to the same circuit. What's nice about these is you can turn one or both on with the switches on the mirror.

Now that I've got my Postal top back on, I plan to add another switch to the rear door (goodbye to the talgate, Postal tops have a huge swinging door). I may add a dome light at the rear door also.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
she has allways liked the old full size two door Chiefs... I'll have to explore that...
Craig,

That is a great opening for another Jeep, but man, do those old big Chiefs drink the fuel. My Brother-in-law had one as a hunting rig and his lease was about 130 miles from home without many gas stations near it. Alway worried about carrying extra gas with him.... ouch.

CJ8Chris

I hate rust and chrome
City
Austin
State
TX
I've got the two under-the-dash lights on my Jeep. They are not hooked up to the door, but to the 'dome light' position on the headlight knob. I was planning on installing a small light near the 'footman's loop'(I think thats what its called) on the top of the windshield frame near the rearview mirror, and then somehow snaking the wire down the frame to connect to tie into the two lights under the dash. I also thought about putting a lamp on the inside of the 1/2 cap above the rear window, but with a quick disconnect on the wire for the annual Summer removal of the 1/2 hard top.

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
I got one of those $10 dome lights from Auto Zone to put into the wife's CJ-7... HELLA bright (no not as bright as Hellas, just very bright)! Hers is zip tied to the rollbar and tied in to the floor lamp circuit. I plan to do the same thing to the Scrambler, and have two- one mounted to the top of the windshield frame, and the other mounted to the center top of the bulkhead. Can never have too much light, especially in an all-black Jeep! :D

RandyLL

1 Long CJ
City
Highland
State
IL
I added a small licence plate light (autozone) inside my Tuffy center console with a push button switch under the lid. I can also defeat it for stealth mode. Wired it to the clock power on the stereo.