LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Welcome....

They can look like either. Most came from the factory looking like small pick-ups. A lot now have 2 or 3 rows of seats and full tops.

Can you post a picture? We'll help you identify it.

luiz

Basic User
Doubt

thats not the problem , the problem is if the Scrambler is a PICKUP i mean, they are classified as a PICKUP or like a jeep , I`m from monterrey, mx, and i i want to buy one and take to mexico i need to be PICKUP hhehe just pick up no cars, so my question is if it is classified as PICKUP

thnk you!

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Depends on the paper and the seller. I've seen them listed under, "cars", "SUVs" and "trucks".

I've also seen where people didn't know they were really known as Scramblers or CJ-8s and just listed them as "Jeep" or even CJ-7.

Good luck in finding one.

Marine-OpLaw

'ANTIQUATED' PackRat
City
Fredericksburg
State
VA
Maybe helps....????

bigwalton said:
Depends on the paper and the seller. I've seen them listed under, "cars", "SUVs" and "trucks".

I've also seen where people didn't know they were really known as Scramblers or CJ-8s and just listed them as "Jeep" or even CJ-7.

Good luck in finding one.
I've had two Scramblers, listed on both their titles as "pick-ups" 're-titled' as "station wagons" (upon the installation of rear seats) to enable registration thereas (for purpose of lower registration/tag fees).

Boomer

Iron Bender
City
Snohomish
State
WA
My 82 is titled and registered as a 1/4 ton pickup and has Washington state truck style license plates.

pgertz

SoCal Scramblers
City
Lake Forest
State
CA
I bought my Scrambler new in California, it was licensed as a pickup with commerical plates, not as a passenger car. However, I have seen several Scramblers that have been resold with passenger car plates.

Stouttrout

Registered Jeep Nut
City
Sour Lake
State
Tx
On my Tx title it has:

Make: Jeep
Type: Jep

My Cj7 is the same. i asked the title clerk if this was a mistake, She said no.

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
In Colorado, all jeeps are registered as passenger vehicles (as of 3 years ago, anyway). Main reason is that if you have acreage outside city limits and have a pickup, you can title as a "farm" vehicle, avoid emissions inspections, use tax-free "farm use" fuel and build your driveline to your hearts content. Not what the state wants to happen. And what with the inclination of Jeep owners to build up their vehicle, the state doesn't want them to be trucks. Simply put, the state can't rape you as bad, and it pi$$es them off when they can't (Control Freaks). When I was there, I found a clerk who was sympathetic and a friend who did VIN inspections. Between the two, I had both of my Scramblers and couple 5's retitled as trucks. Saved a ton of cash and had the immense pleasure of beating the state at their own game.

Note: Check out Jeep brochures, In at least one year Scramblers were referred to as a pickup. That's what I showed the clerk to get my 8's titled as a truck. Maybe the need will arise for one of you.

They also wanted us to have little roofs over our trash cans (like Kalifornia) 20 miles up in the mountains, but that's a whole separate story.

Now I'm in Dearborn Michigan and can't put 220 in my garage because I "might" start a business. Figgers! Wish I was still in Colorado!!!! Really!!

Paul

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
When I was in Colorado it depended on what side of the devide you were on. East slope were cars, and west slope seemed to get truck tags.

But it did not help that I lived near the Peoples Republic of Boulder.

Carl

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
That'd be spelled "Republik" eh Carl? :D Sorry to hear that. Job take you out of Colorado? Virginia must be culture shock.

We were west of Fort Collins about 17 miles. I miss it a lot. We were just east, about 1 mile, of the western edge of the "B" emissions zone, so I had to get creative. with Colorado State being in FC. Larimer County was getting a little liberal with the roofs over the Trash cans and all. Becoming a Boulder wannabe.

City
Hammonton
State
NJ
Mine is titled as a wagon. I asked about it when I bought it, but in Jersey it costs more to register a pickup than it does a car, so wagon it is!