• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Dove Tailing a Bobbed 8

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Well I had to do something, since I broke off one of my Spring-Plate bolts into my 60 housing and the bolt extraction started going south (still not done) I decided to dovetail my Bobbed Cj-8.

Heres' the before shots
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hmmmnnnnn... is that a Sawzall I see?

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
I was able to cut the sides of the bed away from the floor at the corner edge along the sides of the Jeep.

attachment.php

Then I pushed the sides in until the back was attached to the rear pillar of my cage, repeat for the other side then I used pop rivets to hold it in place, 4 on each corner. I also used two rivets mid way between my B and C pillars.

attachment.php

Then I just used the sawzall to trim away the bed as needed. Cutting off the corners ended up being pretty simple.

attachment.php

Last edited:

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
I am thinking I'd like to put the tail gate back on there, I didn't cut off the mount points for the hinges.

attachment.php

The next upgrade will be a rear fuel cell. I got that gas can from another member (Cpt. Chris?) a few years back, it's a 15 gal from a Scrambler. But it leaks when it's upside down, as you can imagine that is a bad situation.

attachment.php

I also need to pick up two Brake light brackets, the light still work, just a trip to Napa and they're done.

attachment.php

Side view

attachment.php

Last edited:

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
i cant believe u hacked up that cherry scrambler...u should be shot..lol..bawawwawwww

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
LOL..... Yeah She was beyond Bondo :D

Here's the last couple a pics....When I get the Front axle bolt fixed I'll post up some Field shots for you.

Passenger side
attachment.php

Driver Side
attachment.php

Long view of the Passenger side
attachment.php

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow...

What would you attach the tailgate to? I think it would be cool to put it back, but you don't have anything left that's vertically in line with the hinges.

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
I do have the original mounts on the still (didn't cut them off...yet) I can bolt the tailgate right back on, I am thinking to get a fuel cell, install it then put the tailgate back on, but push it in at the top at an angle to attach at the roll bar (I need a cross member in the back now).

But I have more serious issues to deal with right now. I have broken bolts in front...lameness..From the spring plate into the 60 housing, one broke off the other ripped out the threads. Mikey might be gettin a call soon :D

Copper Cohiba

Basic User
City
Vancouver
State
BC
Hey Mark

I know you said you used to use this as a daily driver, so post up a photo of what it once was for comparison! Be good for a chuckle or two....

Pat
C/C

Scott Mine

Legacy Registered User
City
Arnaudville
State
LA
Yeah Man

Now this is what i am talking about. Great job on that. Looking good.

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
I'll scan some of my before pics fo sho......

I wish I could find the one when I first got it home, I still had my Furd Ranger, two rigs one shot....It'll show up.

And yes I still call it a Scrambler, It's still got a vin # , Frame, t-case and the strech betweeh the wheel well and Doors, well most of it anyways! :D

Stouttrout

Registered Jeep Nut
City
Sour Lake
State
Tx
BIG_Mark said:
And yes I still call it a Scrambler, It's still got a vin # , Frame, t-case and the strech betweeh the wheel well and Doors, well most of it anyways! :D

Huh, I have one or two Scramblers with about the same short list of parts.:D

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
A Work Of Art

Speaking off bolt extraction, how's that going? What went wrong and how are you solving the problem? (just curious because i always seem to find myself in those situations)!! :banghead:

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Well my Steering ram was attached to mt Passenger side spring-plate, not what I wanted but thats how it ended up, it worked fine for quite a while but now it's bad. the stud bolts that go into the diff housing are both broken off. My extraction did not go well. I think I'll be drilling them out larger, then tapping for new beefy bolts. Hopefully that will hold me over until the coil-overs are in the picture. First order of business now however is to get my tow rig running again, I need to replace the oil pump, unfortunately to get to it I have to remove the 460 from the truck, then I can change it out. Lame but needed. Then I intend to go wheeling at Reiter (our local wheelin area) and leave a sign in the window "For sale $2k OBO" I figure if I get 1-1.5k I'll be able to buy a trailer and use my friends Furd Diesel for a while.

Anyways heres a picture I found, my scanner here at work is awesome, unfortunately I don't scan photos often so the colors came out funky, I Doctored it up a bit in Photoshop so if it looks a bit cartoonish thats why.....

This is a pic from a camping trip I took to the Columbia River Gorge around 1996-97, 33" BFG Ats, 3:73:1 gears, T-18, 258 (Clifford intake, header, 300 CFM 1 bbl Holley Carb)

attachment.php