• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Drum Brake Backing Plate and AMC20

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Hey guys, before I pull my axle apart, can you all tell me if, using Mosier axle shafts and tapered bearings, will the drum brake backing plate slip over the bearings? I'm trying to get my Jeep to the Sand Blast event but SSBC no longer makes / supplies the parts for my disk brake setup and the calipers that they recommended to me just before they went under the last time aren't really making me feel very safe. After pulling the old axles apart and inspecting the brake using the T-bird SC calipers, they appear to be dragging and the pads they recommended fit the disks poorly.

SSSOOOooo...I've talked to SSBC, TSM and Wilwood and they are all on a 6 to 8 week delay in shipping because of manpower at their various suppliers. I'm now looking at putting drum brakes back on the Jeep. Not what I wanted to do, but I'm kind of running out of time. I already had the bearings pressed on the shafts and installed everything but the brakes and now I'm hoping I don't have to install new bearings again just to put the backing plates on.

Any ideas??? Jeff

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The brake backing plates will NOT slip over the axle shaft bearings.

The brake backing plates are what keep the axle shafts from sliding out of the housing.

Unfortunately, you will have to remove your bearings, install the brake backing plates, then install new bearings/lock rings.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Thanks! You can probably hear me groan from there. I'm noodling on my options at this point. daggum.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Thanks! You can probably hear me groan from there. I'm noodling on my options at this point. daggum.

Yeah, sucks :banghead:

I am running the SSBC rear disc conversion on my AMC 20. I have the version for "Warn Full Float" rear shafts. I think the only difference is the mounting brackets/spacers.

I have close to 50,000 on my rear kit, pads still about 40%, calipers and rotors seem fine. I have been concerned about future/out in the boon docks parts availability.

Aren't the rear calipers and pads off a 1988 Ford Thunderbird, supposedly :shrug:

What is your issue with the calipers/pads?