• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Dual Battery Tray

charliev

Basic User
City
Cape Cod
State
ma
I am looking to add a dual battery setup to the scrambler while I perform the diesel conversion. I was going to fab my own tray, but did a little research last night and found a few for sale in the aftermarket. Some look pretty cheap, so I thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone run a dual battery setup on their 8 and if so did you buy the tray and from what manufacturer.?

Hopefully I have more luck with this than with the al. radiator question!

Thanks, Charlie

RedRaider43

Legacy Registered User
City
San Antonio
State
TX
Dual Battery

I run a dual battery setup in my Scrambler. When I get home I can take a pic of what I have. If I remember right it is two seperate trays and one is turned. The PO put a winch on the front of the Scrambler for Mule deer hunting in Colorado and added the extra battery so as not to run down the battery when winching. What are you using yours for? Is it needed for the Diesel Conversion? The major negative about running two batteries from my experience is if one battery goes bad it will kill the other one.

charliev

Basic User
City
Cape Cod
State
ma
Thanks, I'll await your pictures.

I don't need two batteries for the diesel. It should be helpfull for winching and using a DC refrigerator though. I will end up using one of those isolator systems to keep both from quitting, or at least that's the plan.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
dual batter controller

Painless makes a good controller also, been using it for 10 years now.
Handy when U let the main battery run out of charge.

I find that when winching, my fuel injection system will not have enough volts so I hit switch and put both batteries together.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/DSC00258-1.jpg

Built a battery tray, similar to NWWrangler's.

has air compressor mounted underneath.

charliev

Basic User
City
Cape Cod
State
ma
Wow, nice hood shot!

I've heard that painless's dual battery setup is great. This project has sapped me financially so I may wait a little on the dual battery setup. When I say wait, I mean until this winter and at that point I'll use a painless kit. I did notice how much room there is under the tray for another accessory. I think I am going to add an engine driven air compressor for my ARBs, under the tray will be where I plumb the tube that goes through the fender for the snorkel.

Did I mention how nice your engine compartment looks?

Charlie