• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

E-Bay HEI Distributor

sxer

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Long Prairie
State
Mn
Does anyone have experience with these "new billet" HEI distributors on E-Bay? My local junkyard doesn't have a used GM one so by the time I buy a used one and have it shipped here, then replace cap and rotor and buy the gear, I'm almost to the cost of these new ones they are selling.
Bob

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
sxer said:
Does anyone have experience with these "new billet" HEI distributors on E-Bay? Bob

Which one, what is the link? I too am interested in getting a HEI.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Does not look too bad. Price seems a little cheep for a brand new one, but maybe if he is getting a deal by buying in bulk it could work.

The Davis Unified Ignitions are liek $300-350 each that always seemed a bit steep.

But this guy is basically using new stock GM style replacement parts. It is not rocket science. and at that price it is probably worth a shot. So I would say go ahead and try it.

He has been on eBay for a while and I have seen him selling lots of the Jeep stuff, so if he was selling junk his ratings would reflect that. Also that adjustable vacum advance is a cool thing that is normally an upgrade for the stock unit.

Carl

sxer

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Long Prairie
State
Mn
That's what I was thinking. I'll probably give it a shot. You can buy new V-8 ones for $50.00.
I suspect they are being manufactured across the pond.
Bob

RDStoney

Basic User
City
North Beach
State
Md
Put this on g.f's CJ in place of the stock set up. Fit was good - install was as you would expect - no surprises. Has run well so far, no complaints, and certainly MUCH better than the original.

sxer

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Long Prairie
State
Mn
Put this on g.f's CJ in place of the stock set up. Fit was good - install was as you would expect - no surprises. Has run well so far, no complaints, and certainly MUCH better than the original.
Yesterday 08:19 AM

Thanks
I ordered one yesterday. What did you use for wires?
Bob

Duffman

Basic User
City
Lafayette
State
LA
Was thinking the same

I have read up on HEI and haven't found anything that makes them uniquely different for the advertised difference in price in cataloges or on-line.

sxer

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Long Prairie
State
Mn
Duffman said:
I have read up on HEI and haven't found anything that makes them uniquely different for the advertised difference in price in cataloges or on-line.

My biggest concern would be the quality of the gear. I don't want the gear breaking and sending metal parts all through the engine. Also want to be sure the teeth match the cam so it doesn't damage the cam.
Bob

EdeC

'84 Ak Postal Scrambler
City
Seward
State
Ak
I just recieved a GM HEI ignition in the mail from CRT performance (also an e-bay seller) mine was damaged during shipping and they quickly sent me a new one. So far they have been good to work with. Over all the unit looks ok it has a lot of plastic parts but hopefully it will hold up. The gear seems solid and well made but I haven't matched it up to old one to check the fit. I haven't braved the freezing tempratures and snow to install it but I will give a report when I do.

CRTPERFORMANCE.COM offers a new set of wires for the male connections and hotter spark. I can't remember the price. I ordered them and the quality seems Ok.

Ed

sxer

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Long Prairie
State
Mn
EdeC said:
I just recieved a GM HEI ignition in the mail from CRT performance (also an e-bay seller) mine was damaged during shipping and they quickly sent me a new one. So far they have been good to work with. Over all the unit looks ok it has a lot of plastic parts but hopefully it will hold up. The gear seems solid and well made but I haven't matched it up to old one to check the fit. I haven't braved the freezing tempratures and snow to install it but I will give a report when I do.

CRTPERFORMANCE.COM offers a new set of wires for the male connections and hotter spark. I can't remember the price. I ordered them and the quality seems Ok.

Ed

Speaking of cold, it was -18 here this morning. Not much snow tho..
Bob

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
jhpribbeno said:
I had considered CRT but just went with the followng because it was cheeper and since I added my TBI I didn't want reprogram the chip. So I hope this works out well, if not, I don't have too much invested in it and can change to the more expensive ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=260082324785&rd=1,1
If you are switching to an HEI ignition and have the Howell TBI, call Howell's tech support. When I made the change from MSD to HEI, I had to remove and install a replacement little circuit board in their harness. It wasn't difficult, but they said I needed to do it.

sxer

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Long Prairie
State
Mn
I ordered the HEI distributor from heidizzy last week end. It came this week and I installed it today.
Everything went pretty well. The shaft seemed to be a little oversized as I couldn't get it to slide into the block. I polished it up some with some 220 wet and dry and got it to go. I used NAPA wire set 700230. I believe they are for a Ford PU with inline 6. They fit pretty well. I would have preferred that they had 90 degree ends on all the spark plug ends but I was too lazy to take them back and look for a different set.
I took the switched power from the heavy red wire going to the old ignition box. Used a male spade clip to make the connection.
After everything was connected, the engine started right up. I set the timing but it was too cold to go for a ride with the top off. Although with the blower upgrade there might have been enough heat to stay warm.
I connected my tach and that worked as well. Engine starts imediately and idles very smooth. Can't wait to take it for a spin.
Bob

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
jhpribbeno said:
I had considered CRT but just went with the followng because it was cheeper and since I added my TBI I didn't want reprogram the chip. So I hope this works out well, if not, I don't have too much invested in it and can change to the more expensive ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=260082324785&rd=1,1

Got mine today and installed it. Started the engine and I get nothing to fire and run. It was late and I am tired so I will try looking it over tomorrow to find out what went wrong. Do have one question about distributor caps number:

On the inside of the cap a "1" is positioned between two of the terminals. So is number 1 the terminal next has you go clockwise around the outside of the distributor cap?

I hooked the wires in clockwise order 1,5,3,6,2,4 around the cap. On the outside of the cap is a index mark between two of the terminals. It looks like it lines up with the "!" that is printed on the inside of the cap.

Help please. Thanks. (I'm going to post a seperate post on this problem).

sxer

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Long Prairie
State
Mn
Number 1 can be anywhere you want it to be. It depends on how you have the distributor oriented. If you have the vacuum advance coming out the side, no. 1 will be in a different location than if you have the advance coming out front or rear. After you have the dist. completely installed so it is down in the oil pump, remove the spark plugs. Use a 3/4" ratchet on the crank pulley bolt. Hold your finger in no.1 cylinder spark plug hole and start turning the engine clockwise from the front. When you feel compression, start watching the timing marks. Keep turning until the crank timing mark is lined up with TDC. No. 1 is now at TDC on the compression stroke. Which ever terminal the rotor is pointing at is no. 1. Install the rest of the wires clockwise around the cap using the firing order.

Make sure you have 12V at the distributor with the key on. Leave the hold down clamp a little loose as you may have to adjust the timing to get the engine to fire. You can use your timing light to get the timing close while you are cranking. Keep turning the distributor one way or the other until you see the timing mark close to where it should be. Turning the dist. clockwise will retard the timing and counter clockwise will advance the timing.
Bob

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
sxer said:
Make sure you have 12V at the distributor with the key on.
Bob
I just wanted to add, make sure you have 12 volts with the on and cranking...both positions.

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
Got it to work. Had to move the wires one terminal more clockwise. Old distributor cap and new one have the terminal #1 marked in different physical locations.

Took it out for a spin with the timing set at 12 btdc - this is where the timing has always been. Ran great. After warming it up, I moved the timing to 6 btdc but got backfiring when flooring it in first from a dead stop. The engine almost died before it caught and squeeled the tires.

Came back home and reset the timing to 8 btdc and it seems to like it there.

I did notice much smoother running at idle (700 RPM) and not nearly as many misses. It probably in my head, but it feels like I have more power at take off now than before.

Anyway with both the Howell TBI and now the larger distributor cap and higher voltage coil/plug wires it sure makes a big difference in how this Jeep runs. I likes IT!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the help. Couldn't have done it without ya. :)

EdeC

'84 Ak Postal Scrambler
City
Seward
State
Ak
HEI swap

I got my CRT kit installed a week ago. I'll start by saying my jeep ran pretty good before the install. It’s just a little bit sluggish on acceleration.

The install went very smooth. I just used their directions that came with the kit. I didn’t get a much of a power gain if any. The jeep does seem to idle a little smoother but it idled pretty smooth in the first place. It does good with cold starts, 20° this morning but it did ok before. In the end I’m happy with the swap but don’t think you are going spin the tires afterwards unless you were spinning the tires in the first place. I guess I’ll try the MC 2100 carb swap next.

Ed

Duffman

Basic User
City
Lafayette
State
LA
Little later but I have the HEI and 2100 coming in for a swap

I am gonna give the both a shot this weekend. Will let you know.