• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Early 258 12wt Crank to TF999

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I am considering rebuilding an engine for my '83. ('98 4.0 block, 12 counter weight 258 crank, custom pistons...)

In researching this I found, "The early 258 crank was designed for use with the Borg Warner automatic, and requires an adapter to be used with a Torqueflite automatic."

Is there any truth in this? What is needed to mate a TF999 to a 1971-1981 258 crank? I think I also have a engine that I could scavenge a post '82 crank from (I think it might be an '83 or '84, but I don't remember off the top of my head), but would rather the additional rotational inertia afforded by the 12 wt crank.

(And don't fret, I will keep the original engine, possibly rebuild it and bag it for future use to enable it to be 'bone stock')

Also planning to rebuild the TF999 while I have everything out, but that is another story. Would be nice if I could find a donor TF999 to rebuild so I can have everything ready for a swap and just have the Jeep down for a single weekend and shelve the stock parts for the future.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
In researching this I found, "The early 258 crank was designed for use with the Borg Warner automatic, and requires an adapter to be used with a Torqueflite automatic."
I take this to mean the '71 was for the Borg-Warner and the '72 - '80 were for the TF :shrug:

crank.JPG
This corresponds with part numbers from supply houses as well.

Not sure about the '81 to '88 counterweight quantity though.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Are those casting numbers or part numbers?

I’ll have to look at the crank I have to see if there are any markings.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I’ve got an ‘81 with the original TF999. It came with a rebuilt 258 of unknown heritage. I swapped it out to an AMC 360 (3 times, but that’s another story). Very swap, install, was totally straightforward. Just had to use a 360 flexplate and make sure that the bushing sleeve for a T400 wasn’t still in the crank. No adapters were necessary. I don’t know if this helps or relates to your situation.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Are those casting numbers or part numbers?

I’ll have to look at the crank I have to see if there are any markings.
This is the header
crank2.JPG
I had cut the top off as it went back to 1965 and thought all the other engine info would be confusing.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Found the casting number 3214723, so I should be good to go. Thanks!

Now I need to strip down my 4.0 and take the block, head and crank to the machine shop. Hopefully they will all be serviceable.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Found the casting number 3214723, so I should be good to go. Thanks!

Now I need to strip down my 4.0 and take the block, head and crank to the machine shop. Hopefully they will all be serviceable.
So, are you building a stroker?
If so a build thread would be interesting to follow. :popcorn:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
First step will be to get the block, head and crank cleaned, magnifluxed, and given the green light. If all that checks out, I plan to build it up as a stroker. Just need to do a bit more research to be sure the v belt accessories will work on a 4.0 block before I send the parts to the machine shop.

Since it would go in the overlander, I want it to appear stock. If the v belts don’t work on a 4.0, I’d probably postpone the stroker (for an ‘81 build from spare parts) and just do a straight rebuild on another 258 I have.