EFI on 4.2 from 95 4.0

jbeshears

Basic User
SOA Member
City
Sturgeon
State
MO
I am bidding on a wrecked 95 Jeep Cherokee for really cheap to take the parts off for adding fuel injection to my Scrambler. Can you use any other parts from the 4.0 on the 4.2? Would using the head be worth it off an engine with 190k miles? Can you use the ignition system?

Any other parts from a 95 Cherokee worth saving?

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
I researched this myself and found for me it was easier to just swap motor for motor. If you receive the whole carcass. The engine bay wiring can be easily spliced into your existing harness. I went crazy and found out what type pin connectors were used on the CJ's firewall so I could plug and play. You could go further electrically wise to include the cherokee relays for your heater and lights,etc. There are plenty of wright ups. I utilized a 94 wrangler for my swap and bolted it up to the original bell housing. Incorporated the fuel pump into the original gas tank. Very fun swap. One of the big jeep part suppliers used to have a knowledge center that included wiring schematics for the 90 jeeps. Last time I looked I didn't see that they were offering that info anymore.

jbeshears

Basic User
SOA Member
City
Sturgeon
State
MO
I was hoping to keep my 258 as it has very few miles since a rebuild, but that may not be the best option. I appreciate the insight.

City
auburn
State
ca
An affordable option is to get a good 2 barrel carb intake and run a Holley sniper efi or FI tech on your 4.2. I wish my Jeep had a 4.2 in it as I would go that route but it had the 4 0l efi semi installed when I got it. It's a wiring mess with no proper harnesses available without spending gobs of money.

jbeshears

Basic User
SOA Member
City
Sturgeon
State
MO
I have been looking at the Holley Sniper EFI. Would I need to change my intake for this? I thought I could use the stock intake and just replace my carb?

City
auburn
State
ca
You could but I'd get a better flowing intake if possible. Stock iirc has all kinds of coolant and EGR stuff? Sniper efi tunes itself and is really really easy. I do wish mine had a carb 4 2 vs its current 4 0l

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Well buying the Cherokee didn't work out, but I ended up purchasing a Holley Sniper off Ebay. I hadn't planned on buying one at this point, but the auction price ended up several hundred below retail price.
I think you’ll like it.