Electric Cooling Fan

mudbeast2

Basic User
City
PORT SAINT LUCIE
State
FL
Has anyone installed a electric cooling fan on their CJ8 with the 4.2L? If so what model fan are you using?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I’ve got the ford contour setup w/ dual fans. Lots of guys running Taurus fans too.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Same. I picked up new Dorman fans for a Contour. Using a flex-a-lite controller to run them.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yes on great cooling and I would never believe anyone who said they felt or saw any hp/mpg improvement from switching to an electric fan. Any gain in either is going to be so tiny that it would take super controlled dyno tests to try to see. Just my opinion.

On cooling, on my trip to SEMA and back towing the trailer, I would see the engine temp come up (never to a concerning degree, I could just watch it climbing) on the longest grades where the engine was pulling hard in a lower gear at ~3k rpm for minutes at a time to maintain speed but as soon as I crested the hill it would drop right back down perfectly. Granted, it wasn’t hot out, but the speed with which it dropped back to normal was pleasing to see and it would be hard to work the engine any harder under load than I was doing for as long.

For the record, this is a 97 4.0l, not the 258.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
My buddy is running a contour fan in a CJ7, he has told me "hes never going back"

Hey Bigwalton, what transmisson are you runnung? TF999? I recently swaped my t5 out for a TF999. My bad knee loves the automatic

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
AW4 out of the same 97 XJ. Love the overdrive and I have one of the AWShifting manual shifter setups. It’s the best of both worlds. Thread on here of installing the shifter somewhere.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I'll have to check out the thread. My RPMs are a little too high with a three speed. I'm running for 4:10's I am 31 inch tires. Terrible fuel mileage and unnecessary stress on the motor

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That’s exactly what I was seeing, I drove mine on the highway too much to be happy with the RPMs with 4.56 gears and 33s. Offroad, I really always needed to have the 4.88s I have now, so that would have only made it worse.

The AW4 and manual shifter are easily in the top three upgrades I’ve made.

And to bring it back on topic, I wish I’d just done the radiator and electric fan as part of the 4.0/AW4 swap rather than dealing with getting to the right fan/water pump on the XJ 4.0. :thumbsup:

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Just to note, I went to the 4.0/AW4 from the 258/TF999 that was stock in the postal.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I am actually running a 4.0 / tf999. Actually it's a golen 4.6 stroker. But built from a 96 4.0. I'm going to start looking for a doner XJ.
Sorry to have taken us off topic.
Thanks for the info.