• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Electric Cooling Fan

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I want to switch the cooling fan to an electric setup on my CJ-7. It tends to heat up a lot...406 abc. An engine driven fan and shroud won’t work, the engine is too low in the chassis to get them to line up. I’d rather not go junkyard hunting this time of year. So, does anyone know of a good setup from Flex-a-lite or someone else? It needs to be a puller, not a pusher.
Thanks...

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Could you raise the engine, or lower the fan shroud, so it all lines up better? :shrug:

Electric fans are cool, but they're expensive, and come with their own set of problems.

I looked in to it pretty seriously for my Scrambler (350 sbc), and I ended up sticking with an engine driven clutch fan.

Granted, I had to relocate my engine to make it work....

Last edited:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I installed a 16" fan on the cj7 (currently turning into the cj8) back in 2009. Sits in front of a chevy 350 (325 hp). Have the fan set up to come on at 180 deg. Runs 180 to 190 deg in 190 deg plus temps. It doesn't matter if the engine sits low. If I wanted to play with it, I could set the temp for 190 deg (fan probably wouldn't come on as much on colder days), just never bothered. Looked up the receipt, has summit part #. They changed the part # so I can't tell you the manufacture without looking at the fan. Could have went larger if I wanted to.20181116_142729_resized.jpg

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Well....if I raise the engine, then I’ll have problems with the headers and side pipes clearing multiple things. If I lower the radiator, it’ll sit on and won’t clear the steering shaft and power steering lines...I had to raise it a half inch more to clear them. I’ve tried modifying an original type shroud to get it to work, it didn’t. So, as much as I prefer an oem type, engine driven fan, I’m dealing with this the only way I can see it working. So I need real suggestions.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Check out summit or jegs to get some ideas. They sell everything from complete units to DIY shrouds. The cooling area of my radiator is 16x24. I have a Mr Gasket 16" single speed fan and the stock 4.3 mechanical fan that I am choosing from. If I run the electric I will power it with the relay kit to turn it on at a set temperature. I have a friend that powers his via toggle switch, which requires you to remember to turn it on... Pretty easy to forget.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The supercharger I had on the LJ required one and it came with a SPAL that has worked well. I have a Maradyne in the Postal that I believe moves more air and is a bit quieter, though they’re all loud to a degree. It took more work to mount and is thicker than the SPAL but still smaller than the smallest engine driven fan clutch I could find. Believe I have a 185 degree switch on the Postal IIRC.

They both have an integrated “shroud” that doesn’t cover exactly 100% but seem to work well enough.

I’m traveling and not at home to check paperwork for part numbers.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Anybody running the contour/taurus/mark 8 fans?

I have an aftermarket contour fan I bought years ago with the intent of using it instead of the mechanical fan. I will be using that on my LS swap if I can get it to work right. It is a dual fan setup, so you can use a multi level control setup, which the GM computer can control.

I have heard the mark 8 fans are the best due to airflow ratings.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Decision made. I’ve ordered the Dorman 620-104. That’s the same duel fan setup as the Ford Contour I believe. It’s supposed to fit the core of a CJ radiator about perfectly with minor modifications to the mounting tabs. They seem to cost a little less than $130 from most places new, which is a lot less than most of the aftermarket stuff. I’ll post up some pictures when I get it. Now I’ll need to figure out a controller....one step at a time.
Image from internet attached....
https://www.google.com/search?q=contour/taurus/mark+8+fans&hl=en&prmd=sivn&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&fir=RpIUj3JGbOxNtM%3A%2CmaVNENB3MQs0yM%2C_%3BnRJdeuVXVYFxvM%3A%2CitZzJ2jO9oxmsM%2C_%3Bs3-Al6i6t1ctBM%3A%2CLH-E_2dwVVubqM%2C_%3B229NQOhgkk3tAM%3A%2CLH-E_2dwVVubqM%2C_%3BgVaNaQYSuWGyTM%3A%2CitZzJ2jO9oxmsM%2C_%3Bxkjmp3HtA2JTYM%3A%2CitZzJ2jO9oxmsM%2C_%3B8FXHhfSqV72VxM%3A%2CojNhbOmLtmidvM%2C_%3B4zE0xwiFQSKfUM%3A%2CitZzJ2jO9oxmsM%2C_%3B5FAMyCh2MJjxdM%3A%2CRKWANCSHFE71WM%2C_%3BOjnXrN-N4MHT2M%3A%2CA5SKcnKPTNO2uM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kQNTshHUxHJnXmy1Rd4RpQt1FxyBw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwizpf6Wg_TfAhVCiOAKHTa6A8YQ7Al6BAgNEAI&biw=768&bih=954#imgrc=1U2uTpfbpSJI-M

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I was just about to post the Dorman contour fan. That is what I installed on mine with a flexalite controller. I am happy with it. And I did not use the little metal push in rods for the temp sensor and added a real temp sensor in a bung that is in-line in the coolant hose.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
And yes, I cut off the mounting tabs to have it flush against the radiator. And I turned it upside down so that I could reach the wiring attachments from the topside.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I'm running this one with a flex a lite VSD fan controller. Been running it for 4 years or so. Works great. I've replaced both JY motors at this point; but they are relatively cheap.....

Only problem I have had has been the when I had non-oe electrical connections (they would fall off); I bought (2) ford OE connectors and spliced them and it works great.

It is a bit loud at full speed (not too surprised)...

I like Dain; am bought the sensor that splices into the radiator hose.........

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Just pulled out the flex-a-lite controller today. I installed the Sniper EFI and it has the ability to control the fans. Gonna be testing that out soon.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Didn't read or see that.

I did not know it would do it either until doing the install. I had a friend doing the electronics and he read the wiring diagram and went for it. And through the comtroller/display, you can set the temps that the fans turn on and off.

Last edited:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
The fan(s) came in today with the factory style wiring plug. I hope to get things installed soon, but will need a new wiring plug. Stella decided that looked pretty tempting and used it for a chew toy.

Skeltor

Basic User
City
Flagstaff
State
Az
I installed the dual radiator fan from a Ford Contour a couple years ago. The shroud fits the radiator perfectly. I wired it to a DCControl variable speed module. Works great, never a problem with it.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
The fan(s) came in today with the factory style wiring plug. I hope to get things installed soon, but will need a new wiring plug. Stella decided that looked pretty tempting and used it for a chew toy.

Aren’t puppies fun!

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I got the fan control harness today from Ron Francis Wiring. It seems to be well done with good quality components, a complaint I’ve seen about quite a few others on the market. Now waiting on the replacement connector for the one that Stella ate.
68F68C97-3C7E-4F70-AE61-E34A4417FC92.jpeg