electric fans

City
White Rock
State
NM
I was watching the show Motorz the the other day and one of the viewers questions that was answered was the biggest seat of thepants power increase bang for the buck, exhaust, cold air intake, etc. The host surprised me by saying that in his experience the most noticable powerincrease came from removing the mecanical fan and using an electric. Well my jeep could use a pony or two so i thought Id look into this and got to thinking about all the talk about Taurus fans, Concurs fans, etc but couldnt recall the latest thinking on th esubject. I have a two speed taurus fan but it looks to thick which jives with my recollection.

I did a search but havent found much difinitive on the question. Whats the current thinking on electric fans? Anyone do th eswap and love or hate it?

Thanks

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Tagging for info. I've thought about doing this to my hunting Jeep for quite a while, since the non-oem rad I have on it is too close to the fan for my liking.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
At least for the 5.9L ZJ, the e-fan is credited (by Chrysler) with freeing 15 hp IIRC. I've been debating an e-fan for my Scrambler for this reason too. If I make the switch, I plan on using a Taurus fan.

Last edited:

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
I did it about 4 years ago and will never go back to a mech fan again. Mine came out of a 3.0 Sable( or similar don't remember for sure). I can't say one way or another about HP gains, but I have never had an issue with overheating since, even hard wheelin in the southern summers.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I did an ECP aluminum radiator and Maradyne electric fan together. The opportunity came up for a piece for the magazine so I ran with it. Had to fabricate mounting brackets and trim the shroud that comes on the fan, but it works well and moves more air than the stock fan ever did (as attested to by the papers and plastic bags that flew off the shelves on the side of my garage beside the Jeep when I started it the first time.) The shroud doesn't quite cover the entire core, but temperature's never been an issue since.

Space is tight, but I had to replace the fan clutch on the 4.0L and got one about 1/4" too long that ended up putting the mechanical fan into the bottom of my previous radiator, so it's tight regardless.

I need to go back in to do a thermostat control and I have a switch in the dash set aside for cutting it off for deep water. Currently just on with the Jeep, which is far from optimal, but it didn't come with a thermostat so I went cheap and had other things I needed to get done.

Don't know that I'd say it freed up much HP, I imagine it's self-fulfilling to want to feel more power afterward. I'd probably put it up there with an intake kit.

I run a Spal fan in the LJ that moves an insane amount of air as well with a Mishimoto AL radiator. That was a necessity when I did the supercharger to make room for the extra belt. It's MUCH thinner than the Maradyne and I know it could be made to work in any Scrambler with a mechanical fan.

City
White Rock
State
NM
Thanks for the info gents. Wow! 15 more HP would give me almost 16 total so I am liking the idea more and more!! Neil, did you have any clearance issues with the Sable fan? I have one from a Taurus but Im not sure there is enough room between the water pump and radiator, I guess Id better tearit down and see for sure.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Thanks for the info gents. Wow! 15 more HP would give me almost 16 total so I am liking the idea more and more!! Neil, did you have any clearance issues with the Sable fan? I have one from a Taurus but Im not sure there is enough room between the water pump and radiator, I guess Id better tearit down and see for sure.
I'll go grab a few pics, But, no I didn't, it's close but never had any issues. I've had the same fans for both the 258 IL6 and 304 V8 with about the same amount of clearance.

City
White Rock
State
NM
Thanks Neil, you have the dual fan set up, mine is a two speed single fan, I guess I need to go hunt down a dual fan set up instead. Thanks for the pics, you saved me some work and frustration

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
No problem, didn't know they had a single 2 speed fan on that series of vehicles, maybe the 4cyls had them, look for a v6 w ac and it should have the dual fan setup. And the shroud is damn near the same size as the stock CJ radiator. I ended up drilling holes in the back side of the grille where the Sable fan mounts were and ran 1/4 bolts trough from the front side and used loctite to keep the nut from spinning off(after losing a few nuts).

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Pretty sure he has the contour fan; it looks the same as mine. I like it pretty well. Not sure how many horses it freed. It cost me a high output alternator over and above the fans and controller. I have a variable speed fan controller that speeds up with temperature; I keep backing the temp down, and I'm sure it's till too fast.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Pretty sure he has the contour fan; it looks the same as mine. I like it pretty well. Not sure how many horses it freed. It cost me a high output alternator over and above the fans and controller. I have a variable speed fan controller that speeds up with temperature; I keep backing the temp down, and I'm sure it's till too fast.
Contour, Taurus and Sable are all the same car, just different badges, just like Chevy and GMC trucks, some minor details are different but drivetrain and chassis are identical

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Contour, Taurus and Sable are all the same car, just different badges, just like Chevy and GMC trucks, some minor details are different but drivetrain and chassis are identical
This isn't quite right. The Taurus was a full size car that only came with a big V6 (Sable is the same car but Mercury version). The Ford Contour was a smaller car that was available with a 4 cylinder or small V6 (i think 2.8L). The Countours Mercury twin was the Mistique (I think).

The Taurus was a large single fan where the Contour was two small fans. Both have been used successfully in CJ applications. I think only the V6 contours and mistique's have the dual fan assembly.

I think the Taurus fan can also be found on older Volvo V70 wagons.........

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
This isn't quite right. The Taurus was a full size car that only came with a big V6 (Sable is the same car but Mercury version). The Ford Contour was a smaller car that was available with a 4 cylinder or small V6 (i think 2.8L). The Countours Mercury twin was the Mistique (I think).

The Taurus was a large single fan where the Contour was two small fans. Both have been used successfully in CJ applications. I think only the V6 contours and mistique's have the dual fan assembly.
That sounds right, I was thinking about that last night and something just didn't seems right with what I said, may have been something to do with the better half of a dozen beers too.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
So since I was there anyways, had my buddy who runs the commercial side of Advance Auto look up the fans. So this is what we figured out 95-2000 Contour have the dual fans like mine, the sables had a variable speed single fan, AS did the Taurus. So that should get ya in the ballpark of what to look for. Also a new fan for the contour was 160 from doorman through Advance.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
[Offtopic]

The Ford Contour was a smaller car that was available with a 4 cylinder or small V6 (i think 2.8L).
Or the much more fun SVT version, still a small v6, but oh how I miss that car :banghead: (still have the R/C version)

RC & Contour SVT_6.jpg

[/Offtopic]

City
White Rock
State
NM
Cool, thanks guys, I think I'll have some time tomorrow to see if what I have fits. If not I think I'll go look for a Contour dual set late in the week