Electric Jeep to be built in charlotte

SCWorm

hillbilly born-n-bred
City
Fort Mill
State
sc
Saw an article yesterday in charlotte biz journal about two guys who are proposing to build and sell electric cars for use around town. but they are not actually cars, they are jeeps. they are planning to use fiberglass jeep bodies (looks like a cj5 to me in the picture), and build from scratch for sale at around $14,000 retail price. vehicles will travel about 50 miles per charge, and are not to be designed for highway travel, as they list 35 mph as recommended top speed. no air conditioning, no radio, no extras - just street legal golf carts.

I'm not sure how I feel about this :confused:

maybe a good first car for my daughter. at 35mph, and 50 miles max per charge.........perhaps I can keep her close to home. of course, i'd have to modify it some :cool:

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Not another one!!!

Geeze! WHY do people keep believing that electric vehicles are some miricle cure?
Guessing these run on lithium-something batteries? Uh...yeah. So compared to fossil fuel how common is lithium? How hard is it to dispose of when the batts are done?

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Golf Course

I'm not a fan of anything with batteries.

But... playing golf in a Jeep would make the hazards more navigatable....wouldn't loose as many balls looking for them in Jeep.

Wonder if it will have 4x4 or maybe rear locker?

SCWorm

hillbilly born-n-bred
City
Fort Mill
State
sc
I think, my opinion, is that these guys think it more marketable on an open air Jeep chassis because it appears to be a Fun :crazy: ....drive around town to supermarket and Friday night mall shopping car that the downtown (liberal set here in charlotte occupy ) love. Woops, now I'm giving away my political position. :banghead:

If we're lucky, Land Rover will come out with a comparable vehicle, equipped to seat 6: And the norm will be maintained. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SCWorm

hillbilly born-n-bred
City
Fort Mill
State
sc
and while I'm being honest.........

I'll go ahead and say that I already know how I feel about this.............

in my opinon it is bastardizing the Jeep product line, which I guess I would live with if it was after Chrysler took over.......but why does it have to be the CJ line.

i probably will regret saying this outloud for all to hear :mad:

SCWorm

hillbilly born-n-bred
City
Fort Mill
State
sc
Just to clarify what I meant here, because I really don't mean to offend anyone or sound like I'm ranting, is..... I just find it disappointing that they are using the classic CJ body to do it on. Would rather see them using some type of more modern body style. Of course the fiberglass CJ kits are price effective, I understand that.

But as example, I wonder how many 69 Camaro owners, or 65 Mustang owners would like to see someone start reproducing those classic body lines as electric cars now, with everybody running around town in them. Don't know, just my view.

I'll try to keep an eye on this, and will post up if I see further developments on this.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Not ME!

You guys can have 'em....just make sure I'm ALL the way out before you start fording the creek!:eek: