• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Electrical Question

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
Hey, quick-ish question. I left my Jeep outside last night. Didn't rain, probably wasn't the cause -- but, when I started it up the radio didn't come on. After driving down the block it started playing on its own. It turned on and off by itself all of the way to work. When I was pulling into the parking lot I noticed that the turn signals weren't working either. Furthermore, I noticed that when I flipped the turn signal the radio went out. Any ideas. My guess is I have a loose ground somewhere. That'll be fun to find. Any ideas where that pesky ground would be?

matnic

Scrambler-in-Progress
City
Rapid City
State
MI
I have something similar happening: if I let the SCrambler sit without being started for a few days, when I get back in it, turn the key, and the radio clicks on for a fraction of a second, then off. Turn it back on, all the presets are gone. But if I turn on the key daily, it will turn right on and keep the same presets. weird

curious to find out what you find out! good luck. I was thinking maybe there was some kind of internal battery (like a PC) that keeps the memory, but why would it shut off after a few days, but stay correct if started within 24 hours?

I may have to check the grounds, too...Radio is way down on the "to do" list, though.

good luck
Mat

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
I had all sorts of weird issues with my 8's electrical, Sometimes when I'd start it the clock would run backwards, then a week/month would go by I'd start it up and the clock would run the right way!

I'd suspect a bad ground or the alternator.

One of the reasons I did my 5.0 swap was due to my charging system. It wouldn't charge, new battery, new alternator and I couldn't reliably get a charge on my Battery.
I had 2 engines before the swap and decided I wasn't going to spend another penny on the i6 so I did the swap.
I know a 5.0 swap isn't the answer you are looking for but you know what?

I've had no more problems with my charging/clock ignition system since.

Maybe if you look into the alternator/regulator you can find the problem.

Good luck!

Mark

RandyLL

1 Long CJ
City
Highland
State
IL
It's probably one of 3 things. Ground, Ground, or Ground. One thing I did was add a dedicated ground to the dash (from battery) which included a stud or bolt with starwashers on both sides of the dash. Then use the part that sticks into the cab as a grounding stud for all your accessories.

Otto

Boonie Basher
City
Tomah
State
WI
Radio

The radio should have two power wires going to it. One always hot, to keep the presets; and one to power it when you turn it on.

RandyLL

1 Long CJ
City
Highland
State
IL
Ever notice that the front turn signals (front and side marker) flash together when lights are off, but alternate when lights are on?