• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Electronic box melted under my hood--looking for a replacement

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
So I just realized that this thing melted under the hood in my Jambo.
It's an 82 California model with serp belt.
I'm not sure what it does but assume I should replace it.
Its mounted on the driver's side fender.
Jambo still runs fine.
If anyone has a spare please let me know.
:cheers:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
39d302fd62dd42b70ccd88a5208e7e22-1.jpg

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I've got one, but not sure if it is correct for your jeep. Has numbers 3238589 and then EIFF-12A651-JA. This one says AMC FFB Control. If you want it, it's free. See if the numbers match or if it is interchangeable.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
dripping black tar must smell nice..

sent from my flaming samsung note7

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
The FSJs do this a lot. I have had some with no potting left at all, all of it on the ground.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
So is it something I should look at replacing or is it OK the way it is?

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Not sure but a lot of wires plug into it
found these other numbers on top.

5c0d0f1b16a64fd69b2d982d9b86a807-1.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I would guess some cali emission junk that "worked" marginally at best when new.

Sent from my SM-J320P

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
On an 81 Cal Emission Scrambler I removed that box, all the wiring that went with it and the relays that went with it, too. I looked at our other 81 with standard emissions and just eliminated everything that wasn't on the 81.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Well if you want to send it my way I'll give it a whirl.
Shoot me a PM and we'll get the ball rolling and a big thank you. I'll compare it to the wires already there.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Tommy, does your California Jambo also have the carb check indicator above the speaker ? I have an 83 from California here that has that and when I took the dash apart I was surprised to see it was stamped just like another indicator , not just a hack job going down the line. A seperate stamping just for the California parts. California sure was a PITA for auto manufacturers! [emoji58]

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
This jeep does not have the carb check indicator. My 81 CJ-7 did have that carb check indicator. Some of the bottom half of the "potting", as you call it, Eric,,,has melted from the box. Whatever is inside doesnt look exposed yet.

I believe this Jeep is from Cali. I purchased from Tx but prior pics on Jambo site were from Cali and it has the serp belt set up.

So what I should do is pull out all of the crazy wiring and drop in one of those finely tuned universal distributors with one wire?

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
My 8 is a 1982 California serpentine. I have converted to a 4.0L. I can check see if I kept mine when I get home.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I think this gizmo will test the gizmos you have to determine if they are good or not. It will also test some of the other gizmos that control other parts of the emission system. I can loan it to Spanks if it helps you out.
f041aec5822b4030db8bd70e3c14f929-1.jpg

b1ed537d8177a43f4dc21b1277b1a6a9-1.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I think this gizmo will test the gizmos you have to determine if they are good or not. It will also test some of the other gizmos that control other parts of the emission system. I can loan it to Spanks if it helps you out.

If you have a spare, I'd buy one from you :drool::drool::drool:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La

Loan it to Spanks,LOL. Hey wait a minute :p

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Thank you Kim Dawson for sending me one in the mail. I haven't taken my other off yet to compare them yet.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
This will work with the '83 and up models, not sure if it would work on an '82, they don't have the big under dash computer.

I guess they make two versions of these, since there are two computers, or..........:shrug:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Here is a label inside. This thing appears to have all the wire adapters and functions for both pre computer and computer.
7daf3841d263a332b7a874486b41090b-1.jpg