• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

emergency brake cable routing???

brokejeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Clearfield
State
ut
I am building a cj8 that has been a 3 year project. It is in its final stages and is actually moving under its own power. I am using either a tdk or matkins frame with an after-market steel tub.
I am installing my emergency brake and there is a hole that goes through the floor for the e-brake cable. The only problem is it puts the cable on the outside of the frame. Am I missing something? or maybe a hole wasn't drilled properly??? If anyone has a picture handy that can show me how and where the cable goes from the pedal assembly to the yoke, I would appreciate it. I am sure I just need to take a step back and look from a different perspective but I am on a time crunch for an upcoming moab trip.
Thanks in advance

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Yep, through the side of the frame through some slots. Hard to see here too, but this should give you some idea.

frame 003.jpg

I'll bet the aftermarket frame is smooth, no slot. I'd probably run the cable between the body and frame, slip it inside a heater hose or something to isolate it from rattling. The cable can make a fairly sharp bend, test fit it and make sure it releases.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Found a couple of better pictures in my "archives"... In the second pic it looks like he's using that hole for the speedo cable, but it's the parking brake cable.

undercarriage 1.jpgtrans.jpg

brokejeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Clearfield
State
ut
thanks, that is why this has been such a brain fart.... my frame does not have the holes. Is it a bad idea to drill some or do you think it would look better to route it over the frame??? Thanks for the quick responses, back to the garage.
Scott

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Looking at the angles form the second picture, I'd just run it over the frame. No reason to make an opening for water to start rust...