Emergency Brake Light Switch

BOWSPENCE

Basic User
City
SANTA ROSA BEACH
State
FL
MY EMERGENCY BREAK DASH LIGHT REMAINS ON. I AM TRYING TO LOCATE THE SWITCH TO REPLACE IT AND CAN NOT LOCATE IT. HELP PLEASE

THANKS,

SPENCE IN THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE?:cool:

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
BOWSPENCE said:
MY EMERGENCY BREAK DASH LIGHT REMAINS ON. I AM TRYING TO LOCATE THE SWITCH TO REPLACE IT AND CAN NOT LOCATE IT. HELP PLEASE

THANKS,

SPENCE IN THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE?:cool:
Switch is on the back of the emergency brake pedal assembly.

but the light also can indicate brake failure I think so it might be something more than just the switch sticking.

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
NE
State
IL
jscherb said:
Switch is on the back of the emergency brake pedal assembly.

but the light also can indicate brake failure I think so it might be something more than just the switch sticking.
Ditto.

More likely you have a brake problem. Some things to look at:
1) Is the master cylinder full? Are you loosing fluid somewhere?
2) Have you recently bled your brakes... especially your rears without ensuring the combination valve's (aka proportioning valve's) metering pin was depressed?

Background:
Within the combination valve are a couple of pistons... if one or both of the brake subsystems is loosing pressure, you're brake light will be activated by a switch within the combination valve.

Additionally, the FSM says to DEPRESS the metering pin on the combination valve while bleeding the rear brakes to ensure the proportioning valve is "set" between the front and rear brake subsystems. An "unset" proportioning valve will result in the brake light coming on.

BOWSPENCE

Basic User
City
SANTA ROSA BEACH
State
FL
Emergency Brake Light

THANKS FOR THE QUALITY INFORMATION. I WILL WORK ON THESE SUGGESTIONS LATER TODAY.

SPENCE IN THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE:cool:

1981 CJ8 LAREDO- ALMOST COMPLETE TO FACTORY SPECS.

City
Columbus
State
MS
Unusual emergency brake occurrence. Recently got the 81 4cyl Scrambler back running but it has a lighting problem. When the emergency brake is applied the lights go out and once released, lights return. As the foot brake is slowly applied I see sparks at the top of the cable guide as the cable is moving. I disconnected the switch and the sparks are still there. I apparently have a "charged" emergency brake. Any ideas where to start?