• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Emissions for 83 Scrambler

dshigekane

Basic User
I live in Colorado and just bought an 83' Scrambler. The Emissions Inspector says I need an air pump on the engine to pass inspection. I cannot find if the 83' stock engine had an air pump or not. Does anyone know the answer???

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
Does your CJ8 still have the emissions sticker under the hood? Which engine do you have (I will assume the 258 6 cyl.) My 1983 CJ8 had (I pulled the engine in favor of a chevy V8) California emissions and no smog pump. I would try a different smog check station. Talk to some local jeep people and see where they take their jeeps for smog checks. Where do you in Colorado? Good luck, I hope this helps a little.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
I used to live in Co. So I have had some experience with emmissions out there.

At the time I had an 84' CJ-7. And myine did not have a smog pump either. I do not belive that the 83's did either. The smog police cannont make you put something that was not original to your vehicle for them to be happy. That being said what the 84's had was fresh air into the cat. Now if you no longer have that they can make you put that back on. It can be hard to find also.

What it is. Is a set of two one way air pipes that route fresh air from inside the air cleaner after the filter down throught hte one way valves and then tie into ewach other and then into a port about midway down the cat. This is supposed to bring fresh air to finish buring any left over fuel that is in the exhaust. So if you have run into a testing place that is being a real stickler they may be loing for this.

Most good muffler shops have a book of what type gear was factory on each vehicle and what has to be on there leagally. So you might look arround and try to find a good shop who can help you out.

The above data is for a 258. If you have a 4 cyl, or a V8 then it does not nessesarily apply.

Carl

bktscrambler

Basic User
City
LaFargeville
State
NY
air pump

my 83 does not have an air pump, nor did it come with one. according to NY inspection regs, you have to have an air injection system on 84 and newer vehicles. i 90% sure that is a federal regulation, so you SHOULD be okay regardless of state. as for the lines running from the cat to the air filter, you do need those, and mine are gone. i just know who to go to when i inspect it. it also helps that i have an inspector's licence. :D

BEN

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
I have all the emission parts left over from my engine swap if anyone needs them. I just got done putting a 5.3L vortec in my scrambler. The emissions parts are off a 1983 256 6 cyl.

thesandman

Basic User
City
corona
State
ca
81 CJ's had the air pump. At least for California anyway. It was done away with after that in favor of cat back and other smog equipment.

dshigekane

Basic User
83' Scambler Emissions PARTS NEEDED!

THanks for the feedback. I brought the jeep to the emissions inspector of Larimer County and he said the scrambler needs the following(see below) to pass emissions-he did some research on the model.
-computer and wiring harness
-ERG valve
-Oxygen sensor
-Air control valve(2)
-Feedback carb
-Air injection check valve(2)
-air switch solenoid
-vacum storage tank
-tubes for air injections system
-air pump

Does anyone know where to get these items? Salvage yard? 4x4 store?

Help or input would be great!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bktscrambler

Basic User
City
LaFargeville
State
NY
lotsa parts

wow. thats gonna be a pricey headache. i think you need to make a friend in the inspecting business. like i said before, that makes it a LOT easier!!

thesandman

Basic User
City
corona
State
ca
This is exactly why I always discourage adapting non-stock engines or removing stock components. It can be a pain in the you know what to restore to original. A true restored Scrambler would have all factory parts. These rigs are worth the most. Judges at classic car shows deduct points for non-originality.

bktscrambler

Basic User
City
LaFargeville
State
NY
stock parts

I like 'em stock too, but when things start breaking down, and performance is lame, it's time to upgrade. Someday i'll restore one of my scramblers to perfectly stock form...but until then, i'm going to upgrade & change things around and beat the tar out of them. that's what makes it fun. is there a CJ or a wrangler out there without some sort of mod on it? nope. and for good reason. no one wants to screw around with that troublesome 80's emissions junk. I'd take driveability over car show points anytime. :p

thesandman, dont take offense....i see both sides.....that's why i kept my original 258 for my rebuild instead of going with a Jasper engine (no doubt a better product than what i got.) keepin' it original...as possible. i drew the line at keeping the carter carb though, and it was like dominos after the weber went in!!! bye bye to all the other junk. for instance, the tube that goes from the cat to the air cleaner, it got smashed while wheeling and it doesnt fit on the weber air cleaner anyway. why spend the cash on replacing & making it work when i can just say to heck with it, and deal with it later if i must. my lawnmower and boat put out more nasties that the jeep ever will, so i'm not too worried that i dont have all the emissions in there.

BEN

Andy W

Basic User
City
Brownsburg
State
IN
Re: 83' Scambler Emissions PARTS NEEDED!

dshigekane said:
THanks for the feedback. I brought the jeep to the emissions inspector of Larimer County and he said the scrambler needs the following(see below) to pass emissions-he did some research on the model.
-computer and wiring harness
-ERG valve
-Oxygen sensor
-Air control valve(2)
-Feedback carb
-Air injection check valve(2)
-air switch solenoid
-vacum storage tank
-tubes for air injections system
-air pump

Does anyone know where to get these items? Salvage yard? 4x4 store?

Help or input would be great!:rolleyes:

83 model year did not have an air pump or tubes for an air injection system, they had a pulse air injection, so the part about the "air injection check valve (2)" is correct. Earlier the 258 had the "smog" pump and tubes that went to the exhaust manifold, and the inspectors list need to be updated to show EITHER the air pump and tubes OR the pulse air injection

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/main.htm

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/pulseair.htm

You can probably still get the check valves at the Jeep stealership, but they're not cheap. If you open up the air cleaner cover you'll see two holes that are connected to the two check valves. If they are black (or rusty like mine), you can bet they are bad.

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
Rather than trying find and refit missing components, how about putting on fuel injection.

Here is a comparision http://www.sierrajeep.com/fuel.htm and instructions to the two popular ones:
- GM/Howell Throttle Body Injection... this may or may not be CARB approved http://www.sierrajeep.com/howell.htm
- MOPAR Multiport Fuel Injection.. a CARB-approved Fuel Injection? (I know you're in CO, but if CA approves it, any state will) http://www.sierrajeep.com/moparmpi.htm

I have the MOPAR MPI (basically a 1994/95 fuel injection system). Since installation requires that you remove just about everything except the crankcase, it's use is great when you're missing a lot parts.

The GM TBI is cheaper, but reuses more old parts.

I like the MPI eventhough I'm having trouble with pinging. After speaking with other MPI owners, this sounds like a problem unique to me. (That reminds me, I need to post that problem in this forum).

Hope this helps,
Jim

Cebollo

City
Montgomery
State
TX
dose any know where to find a new Vehicle emission control info sticker

Attachments

• VEC.jpg
    VEC.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 2