CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Here's a little discussion that I'm curious about:
What would it take to EMP-proof a Jeep Scrambler? Perhaps for a bug-out vehicle. Solid state ignition, coil, battery, etc. What would need to be protected? I'm talking about a stock 8 with a 258 and very few accessories.
Thoughts, discussion?

Last edited:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
IIRC, there was a good writeup on this at www.endtimesreport.com.

Involved building a Faraday cage (grounded metal shed) OR an idea that grounding the vehicle with a dragging chain would protect it. Don't think there are any real-world ways to test to see whether or not any preparations we might do would work until the EMP actually hit.

BIG solar flares popping up.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I love me some Doomsday Preppers too!!

Makes me really question the 4.0. Need a spare computer in a faraday cage!

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I think the thing with an EMP is integrated circuits where the induced voltage/current is enough to fry the delicate circuits. I would think a carbed non-computered/nuttered Scrambler would basically be fine.

Kiko

Base Coat 1H
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
Subscribed. :popcorn:

My only thought is why would you do this unless you had a large supply of gas that was either off the ground for a gravity fill or a way to pump out of an underground tank manually.

Personally I think you are better to be well armed around lots of wildlife than to have to depend on gas. I think a 55 gallon drum would be better filled with ammo vs gas. :twocents:

Kiko

Base Coat 1H
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
My point exactly. Say we go Mad Max. I see 15 - 30 gallons of gas there. I also see only 3 well placed rounds. Again Mad Max. I'm not a violent person, but doomsday I could protect what's mine and sell 15 - 30 gallons of gas. Or use it in my EMP protected scrambler. :)

Rounds are more valuable than gas.

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Subscribed. :popcorn:

My only thought is why would you do this unless you had a large supply of gas that was either off the ground for a gravity fill or a way to pump out of an underground tank manually.

Personally I think you are better to be well armed around lots of wildlife than to have to depend on gas. I think a 55 gallon drum would be better filled with ammo vs gas. :twocents:

This is probably only good as a bug-out vehicle that would be used in the event that civil unrest becomes a real problem in a metropolitan area and you need to get out of that area and to somewhere far more remote where folks can't find you and try to procure your necessities. Fuel would be of concern and transporting as much as possible.

Ammo, and good defenses would obviously be a major priority.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Well I look at it like this......if an EMP disabled everyone's cars EXCEPT MINE, there would be all kinds of gas around. Granted it would require a syphon, but still, I don't think getting gas would be a problem in that situation. The roving bands of zombies would be much easier to outurn in a vehicle!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
This should be an interesting topic to watch, and I hope there will be some useful tech that surfaces. IMHO, I don't think that an EMP is a huge worry, except for in the case of a nuclear EMP, and then radiation would probably be the primary concern.

I believe fuel will be available for quite some time to those resourceful enough to find it and armed/trained enough to keep it.

Also, being interested in being prepared, I have chosen firearms that use common military and police calibers. I figure ammo will be easier to source that way. I also have sizeable supplies of each. And, don't forget to have a few .22 caliber arms- they are great for small game and situations that require a degree of silence.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Garden Hill, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I have a radiation meter in my center console. (I live <10km away from a nuke plant)
I have a route already planned out for escape if needed, (mostly on road, but can easily escape the road with the Jeep if needed)

as for EMP, and faraday cage... doesnt a vehicle's body act like a faraday cage? Search Top Gear lightning car. I'd post it for you, but i have to leave for work now.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
One of the reasons I own a Jeep is survival/doomsday scenarios. I'm not a "survivalist" but I do believe in being prepared and having a vehicle that can carry people and supplies over rugged "unimproved" terrain is important. Of course guns/ammo and food/water is too and I have those as well. :D

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
Your best bet is having an old school point and condensor Distributer and a oil filled coil available for your Carburated engine.
If thats no good, the last of the non-electronically controlled Diesel engines would be the other preferance, not to mention fuel for a diesel is something you can make with only minor difficulty.

In reality, the least of my concerns is transportation, at least after a strike or whatever. its more important to have good potable water. Irradiated water wil pass all water filters, even reverse osmosis and distilation....and without water we can die in 3-4 days. :eek:

at that point, transportation wont do you much goodtravel will so restricted that to go 5 miles might take you an hour, or a week. you cant depend on the roads being open let alone safe and cross country takes forever even in a built rig.

I would say a good, calibrated Gieger counter would be more usefull over all.......

Dont get me wrong, Guns, food, water and transportation all have its uses and such in any scenario you can come up with. but I think too many focus on bugging out...when there may not be any 'out' to go to.
You just wont know that untill right befor anything happens, and that window for information is extreamly short, if you miss it, anything you do afterwards becomes a calculated risk.

Just some of my thoughts for what its worth :cheers:

Last edited:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Experienced Jeeps

I've sold several (5) older points type Jeeps and generator equipped Jeeps in the past 18 months to "Concerned" people that wanted non electronic transportation. Also sold both propane kits that I had stockpiled.

:wave:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
So how hard is it to switch to points and a generator? After having a 1950 Jeepster equipped with both, not particularly something I want for daily use, but if it's not too hard to swap over, could keep the stuff on hand to swap over if needed.