• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Engine Compartment Temp- Hot to the Touch

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
I have recently noticed that after a 20 minute or longer drive that my engine compartment seems hotter than normal. The hood gets very hot. the aluminum valve cover, hard fuel line that goes over the valve cover, carb body, air cleaner- they all get almost too hot to touch.

258 is original/ stock internals with MC2100 carb and much of the computer related emissions stripped off. I replaced the cooling system (water pump, radiator, t-stat, hoses) last year. The temp gauge does not indicate overheating (never goes above halfway between C and H). Jeep runs great, power is consistent when hot and cold.

Also, when i remove the oil fill cap after a long drive, there is a faint wisp of smoke. I understand this can be a sign of blow by, but I don't have any oil in the air filter, pcv valve was recently replaced and seems to be working fine.

Can any of you guys with 258's offer a comparison or opinion if this is normal? Thanks.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLD 8
SOA Member
Lifetime Member
I've always felt mine was hot too, but it never seems to overheat. I think it might just be the lack of insulation vs. my other vehicles.

Mine always seems a bit too warm when the sun is shining at this time of year, but its never been an issue i think they were designed to run hot.
Besides the 258 has to be doing something with all the gas it drinks, it certainly doesn't turn it in to rotational force!:P

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
More specifically, does your carburetor and air cleaner get really hot? My carb (MC2100) gets so hot you wouldn't want to touch it more than a second. Seems odd and maybe unsafe... ?

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
More specifically, does your carburetor and air cleaner get really hot? My carb (MC2100) gets so hot you wouldn't want to touch it more than a second. Seems odd and maybe unsafe... ?
Been forever since I ran the 258/2100 but I will share that I had to add a heat reducing/insulating spacer on my FSJ under the carb because fuel was boiling in the bowl. Worked like a charm. About 1/4” thick.

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
I have a gasket that is about 1/4” thick between my carb and adapted plate (came with the carb kit from Gronk). not sure if there is something more effective. After some reading decided to check the timing. It was set at 12 degrees so I adjusted it back to 8. Things seem to be a bit cooler 5 minutes after a 20 minute drive. I am surprised it made a difference. Only problem is I don’t like the way it runs as much- pops some when I take my foot off the gas in gear...