• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Estate Sales?

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
Does anyone elses wife roll their eyes when they talk about buying stuff off of dead people? I have found some pretty good stuff in the past and was cruising through Estatesales.net for the Virginia area and came across 3 gems that I wanted to share with everyone on here.

The first one (ignore the Muhammed painting) has a 1987 Grand Wagoneer with 12,000 miles on it. Priced pretty high at $29,000 http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/500778.aspx

This one has a ton of automotive signs http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/501135.aspx

And this one is my favorite, however I won't be able to make it. Tons of tools: http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/510375.aspx

Just thought I would share this if anyone can get around to them and make a good score.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
The guy with the signs has some high end stuff.

RubberDuck

Legacy Registered User
City
Baltimore
State
MD
I love estate sales, I've found some incredible buys at them, mostly on tools. I figure the stuff all has to go somewhere, I might as well help them out! What I don't particularly care for are these professionally run estate sales where they price everything as if it's brand new on the shelf. But that's as a buyer. Though I bet people are left with a ton of stuff to clean out post-sale that would have otherwise been sold if the pricing was realistic.

But I love finding well-made older tools at estate sales. It's really one of the only places you can find some of that stuff other than eBay.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
I understand both sides of whether it's considered creepy/odd. I just saw that older episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" where they had the Hartung auction. He apparently got a lot of his stuff just looking at the obits and calling the house to see if they had anything to sell. He often got the stuff for free for helping them clean the "junk" out of the barn/storage shed. He got a lot of good stuff by bypassing the middle man at the auction.

http://blogs.discovery.com/velocity/2012/04/the-impressive-lee-hartung-collection-and-auction.html

My wife and I are now empty nesters so I imagine that we'll start going to some of these. Hopefully in the Scrambler :)

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I looked at the pictures and yes the stuff looks great.. but then I seen that mom necklace..... i closed the web page......

Sent from my SPH-L900

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I hit garage sales every chance I can get. I actually make some pretty good money buying and reselling. The estate sales are the best, unless it's run by a professional auction company. Then the prices get out of hand. I recently turned a $500 dollar investment into $1000, and still have a ton of stuff left over to sell. I buy anything that I think I can turn for a profit.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
yea I like-em. My wife did get creeped out one time when a bunch of people were rifling through the deceased's closet for clothes though. :rotfl:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
My wife was at a garage sale last weekend looking for baby clothes and there was a table covered in used underwear - sign said 10 cents you pick em.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
My wife was at a garage sale last weekend looking for baby clothes and there was a table covered in used underwear - sign said 10 cents you pick em.

Can't Beat That :bacon: Wait....is that pre or post wash?

roch207

Basic User
City
Richburg
State
SC
I thought we weren't supposed to look at images of the prophet or else we would be subject to jihad.