• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

exhaust manifold help

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Bolt hole on one of my manifolds broke and and stud in the other. I blew the donut gasket out of the one that broke. So I'm looking at new manifolds.

Engine is a vortec crate motor L31. I'm currently using ram horns off a 63 impala with a 2" dump. Most stuff out there new are ram horns with 2.5" dump.

Anybody know anything about these?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Ra...less,5425.html

How would stainless do on holding in heat. Would they do as well as a cast iron manifold? Or I could save $100 and go with cast iron ones and potentially get them ceramic coated (about $250). Or don't worry about it and find some 2" dump ones and bolt them on?

My muffler also has some pin holes in it. I need to find out what it would take to redo my junk with 2.5" pipe and put a new muffler on. Thinking if I have to do a muffler in the near future might as well bite bullet and get it all done now with bigger exhaust flow?

Any thoughts?

Truck

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Truck,

Good to see you back on here.

If it were me, I would go with durability. That would mean the Iron Rams horns. It is probably time to look at the complete exhaust and think if it is time to put in a new one. There are lots of old school exhaust shops that can connect up a set of duals and run them out the rear.

If the 2.5's are easier to get just run some new ones and keep going. If you want to get buy for a couple of years then source the old style part. In the end it might not be cheaper, but could be quicker in getting it back on the road.

For the engine you are running there would not be that much of an upgrade in performance with the 2-2.5" upgrade. If this is the Beige Jeep then you will probably not need anything more anyways. Look to just replace and keep going.

I think that there are several places out there making reproduction rams horns so they should be easy to come by. But I am not sure on the exit size. If you just want to replace and keep going then get a matching set of exhaust manifold, and a good exhaust shop can convert the down pipes to the existing exhaust and just keep you going down the road.

Carl

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
HehehhhHehehHeh

You said dump... A lot.

:rotfl:

I can be of no help, but had to comment on the dumpage.