Family cage inquiry

cjcook

City
Hayden
State
id
I’m building a scrambler “for the wife” we have 3 kids. I’m wondering if anyone has modified a genright or poison spyder cage kit to create a family cage for a cj8. Thanks in advance.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I've talked with poison spider, they weren't interested in CJ8s. Too small of market to justify development costs.

While you can modify anything, the mounting differences between the 7 and 8 cages would make it almost easier to start from scratch. I added a family cage onto the factory bar using 1 3/4 .120 HREW tubing. It is sufficient, but I am going to build a full cage to better protect driver and passenger.

City
Hayden
State
id
I've talked with poison spider, they weren't interested in CJ8s. Too small of market to justify development costs.

While you can modify anything, the mounting differences between the 7 and 8 cages would make it almost easier to start from scratch. I added a family cage onto the factory bar using 1 3/4 .120 HREW tubing. It is sufficient, but I am going to build a full cage to better protect driver and passenger.
Thank you but my skill level is far from "start from scratch" maybe someday?

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I bought 2 cj7 roll bars, cut them up and rewelded them. Then added one cross bar. I have less than $100 into the whole thing and got it done on a weekend. It's NOT a full on roll cage, but does offer some extra protection. Plus the addition of shoulder seat belts are nice. These pics are from before I painted it to show you what I did. Also, it is bolted in the where the factory roll bar was.
IMG_20180707_202151.jpg IMG_20180707_204206.jpg IMG_20180722_194107.jpg IMG_20180712_175003.jpg IMG_20180722_194132.jpg