Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
Took a trip Sunday and picked up a new truck. It took months of negotiating but I think it will be a fun project. I don't have any real plan on what I am doing with it yet.

This will help me to motivate me to finish up some things on my Scrambler and to organize things in my shop to get to work on this. First off, I have to put on tires that roll and pressure wash out all the mess from the pack rats.

Attachments

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
That looks awesome! I saw thins nice FC put to work hauling brush a week ago. They are so cool!
IMG_1095.JPG

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
Awesome! We just missed out on this one and only 10 miles from home.

Says he has another, waiting on pics of it.

FC Neodesha.jpg

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
SO PSYCHED FOR YOU!!!

Drove this one in Moab at EJS at the Jeep media event, beautiful FC body/bed on a stretched TJ frame/drivetrain. Drove incredibly well and was so much fun in every possible way.

Some of our Scrambler brothers ended up giving it a tow to get gas after it ran out on main street in Moab on the way back into town after the event :rotfl: In the immortal words of John Case, master of the southern gas gauge: "It ain't gurglin'"

DSC_4258.jpg

Story link with a video while driving it:
http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?i=303540&ver=html5&p=106

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
Is that some sort of ultra bright spot light on the front of that thing?

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Awesome i love these things. Someday, Someday I will have one.

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
First lesson learned - the driver's side wheels have reverse threaded lug nuts. No wonder I had trouble breaking them loose for the last two days. PB blaster doesn't help with that.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
First lesson learned - the driver's side wheels have reverse threaded lug nuts. No wonder I had trouble breaking them loose for the last two days. PB blaster doesn't help with that.
LOL I remember my first time with that. 1965 IH Scout 80. I figured it out when I actually drove a lug through the wheel.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
LOL I remember my first time with that. 1965 IH Scout 80. I figured it out when I actually drove a lug through the wheel.
Interesting.
I remember this from my old Mopar days.
Didn't realize other makes did it as well.

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
Interesting.
I remember this from my old Mopar days.
Didn't realize other makes did it as well.
The guy helping me with mine said that he actually had an early CJ like that before but didn't think about it until I told him that this one was reverse threaded. Apparently it was somewhat popular, but I had never heard of it.

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
Found a friend with a running hurricane engine, transmission and PTO winch from a 63 Willy Wagon I can put in the FC if it doesn't just run when I try to start it up. Pretty exciting news.

Now that the Scrambler shifting issue is fixed, I just have to change the glow plugs on my big truck and the suspension on my wife's Honda and then I will be able to get started cleaning up the FC-170.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
The guy helping me with mine said that he actually had an early CJ like that before but didn't think about it until I told him that this one was reverse threaded. Apparently it was somewhat popular, but I had never heard of it.
If you look close on the end of the stud there should be an "L" stamped in. Might have to wire brush them a little to see. Here's something kind of funny I've run into before on old Jeeps...someone put a hub from the left side onto the right side! So we had left hand threads on the right too!

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
If you look close on the end of the stud there should be an "L" stamped in. Might have to wire brush them a little to see. Here's something kind of funny I've run into before on old Jeeps...someone put a hub from the left side onto the right side! So we had left hand threads on the right too!
The L stamp is there. I will know from now on what that means

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
One big dent getting worked out

The FC had a pretty significant dent, or bashed in, corner behind the driver.

Since my employer gives us Good Friday as a holiday, and a friend with much more experience in body work than me was able to help, some progress was made.

A round corner like this is quite a bit more challenging than the CJ body work had.

Still more to be done, even on this corner, but it is a start

Attachments

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
Starting to disassemble

Got the bed rails, grill guard and front bumper off today.

Once a paint coloring scheme is figured out I can work on powder coating those.

At this point my wife is suggesting a steel blue body with white grill and top, and unsure of the powder coat color for the bumper, guard and rails.

Attachments