Fender flares, what year did they start?

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
I am wondering what year Jeep started installing fender flares on the CJ's. Anybody know? I have seen some CJ 8's without them and most with them. I thought they started in 1982 when they went to wide track axles but my 1981 has them so not sure. With my tires I am not sure if they would be needed if it didn't have the wheel spacers the previous owner installed in it. Of course I am debating switching to wide track axles when I put a Ford 9" in the rear (which would have already happened if OX locker could work out a way to make it work).

Last edited:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I'm pretty sure they started in '76 on the CJ-7's. Could be earlier but I'm not sure about the earlier CJ-5's. They were an option and most CJ's had them unless they were stripped down base models.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Yeah and before the design we all know of the flares, there was also a flare option that looked more like landscape edging, literally kinda flops around and is not molded specific to each wheel opening, it was probably sold by the roll. As far as the more recent design it's somewhere around 73-74 or so. Here is a press photo from late 74 of a 75 model:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400417296.661021.jpg

mr. boh

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Annapolis
State
MD
I know they were part of the Renegade package for 74. Base model 74 CJ-5s did not have them.