• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Fiberglass on top of steel repairs to my tub?

RichandPoor

City
Suffolk
State
VA
I have a tub with missing body mounts and both floorboards are rusted through. Many other pin-holes. Goal is to weld in new floorboards and body mounts and then sandblast and POR-15 everything and then top it off with fiberglass. Anyone else try this? Want to make a permanent repair and have access to a lot of free fiberglass cloth. Maybe even top that off with a bed liner.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Just curious, why would you want to 'top it off with fiberglass'?

If you have access to a lot of free fiberglass maybe you could make a really cool and unique topper. Just a thought.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
If I remember correctly fiberglass will sepetate from metal with time unless you drill a zillon holes in metal to anchor.

RichandPoor

City
Suffolk
State
VA
If I remember correctly fiberglass will sepetate from metal with time unless you drill a zillon holes in metal to anchor.
Haha, that problem is solved because there are pinholes everywhere!

And I do have a CJ-7 topper that I will probably use. Here are some pictures. Will show more once I get the body off.

Attachments

• rusted floorboards.jpg
    rusted floorboards.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 16

RichandPoor

City
Suffolk
State
VA
My friend came by today to look at it. He did body work years ago and has the unlimited supply of free fiberglass cloth. I have to weld in new floorboards and maybe even a few more supports underneath where the body mounts rotted off. Then he thinks we should blast both sides, POR-15 or other rust encapsulator, then fiberglass both sides, maybe even 2 layers on top up the sides halfway. Would be a permanent fix.