• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

finally found a full hard top can I get opinons

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
It is a classic brand which I am not familiar with, and the guy is asking $1000 or $500 and a pistol. He says it's just dirty but that there are no issues. What do you guys think about price, condition concerns and brand?

Attachments

• 20170604_112934.jpg
    20170604_112934.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 20170604_112910.jpg
    20170604_112910.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 208

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I've got an Acme hardtop. It has a larger back window which I like. Top is worth what someone is willing to pay. Look where it goes onto the windshield and where it sits on the tub and check condition. See if the fiberglass needs any repair. See if the shocks hold the window up. Might need a key. This owner didn't think enough of the top to put it out of the weather or off the ground. Probably not the best looking top, but still hard to find. Might look into buying a new hardtop for a few hundred more and not have to put the work into this one. If it were priced around 600 or 700 then it might be more enticing. If you have to pay someone to do the prep and painting, you still may be better off with a new one.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I have sold several full hardtops. Got $1000 each. They all looked better (style wise IMHO) and where certainly much cleaner looking than that one. I would make a lower cash offer. Check what Kim mentioned. There are not alot of people looking for these and even fewer close enough to buy them from the sellers.

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
If that top is the one I think it is, has been for sale for a long time. Agree with Kim on the price. Have both a both an Acme and a Grizzly (very similar to a classic) top. I do like the Acme much better. The Acme has both an inner and outer fiberglass shell where the classic I believe is a single layer. IMO wait for a good Acme to come along or purchase a new top.

Last edited:

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Scramblin Man, did you mean to say that you like the ACME better?

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
My favorite so far is the OEM looking one I had with an OEM lift gate. It fit well with a bunch of fitting. My second favorite is an AJ's which has slider windows and a lift gate like a camper shell.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
My favorite so far is the OEM looking one I had with an OEM lift gate. It fit well with a bunch of fitting. My second favorite is an AJ's which has slider windows and a lift gate like a camper shell.

I have 1 of each. The one with the factory style hatch I think is a Topflite brand. I have had it about 20 years and have never had it on a Jeep yet. Maybe this year it will go on.

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
There are couple AMCES on fleabay but they want $1500. I don't think the seller knows that new ones can be bought for not much more.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
It's one thing to pay top dollar for original equipment that is like new, but another to pay for something that has been neglected. Keep looking and stay patient. That can be hard, but will pay off.

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
You should be able to buy a good condition Acme for $700.00 - $1000.00 . Keep a look out on Dallas, Austin and Houston craigslist.

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
makes me sad, but I'll pass. One thing this deal had going for it was the$500 + pistol, so it was really only going to cost me $800, but if Classic is not a good brand, then I will pass.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I used a pistol as part of the deal to buy my Scrambler years ago.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I think I paid around 350 for one in Houston but I literally had to get in my truck that day to drive and pick it up since I was the first to contact him about it. It's been sitting in the same spot on the floor since the day I brought it home. One day...

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
You can get a brand new full hard top for $1,695.00 from Xtremetops. IMO $1,000 seems a bit steep for that condition. I paid in cash and got a what I thought was a good deal at Xtreme. Something like $1,800 for a new top with sunroof ,lights, fabric liner, 3rd tail light and a set of hard upper doors to match.

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
You can get a brand new full hard top for $1,695.00 from Xtremetops. IMO $1,000 seems a bit steep for that condition. I paid in cash and got a what I thought was a good deal at Xtreme. Something like $1,800 for a new top with sunroof ,lights, fabric liner, 3rd tail light and a set of hard upper doors to match.

I know what hard lower doors are and hard full doors are but what are hard upper doors?

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
Hard upper doors attach to the hard lowers. Most of the time you see soft upper doors on the hard lowers or nothing at all.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
Some pics of top with matching upper doors

Attachments

• 3EA33226-4C6A-41BD-B70D-F9670ACC2016.jpg
    3EA33226-4C6A-41BD-B70D-F9670ACC2016.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 105