• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Finished my Howell EFI conversion today

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
What a difference! Smooth idling, easy cold starts, good cold running. And a box of about a million pieces of old vacuum hose, Carter carb, and other 80's emissions crap to take to the landfill.

Install took about 9 hours over 3 days, no real complications, although there are a couple of places where the Howell manual could be more clear.

I did a couple of things to make the job easier.

1. Did the "Nutter bypass" on the ignition and stock ECM a few weeks ago. The Howell conversion requires the same wiring change as the "Nutter", so doing this ahead of time removed one variable from the EFI install. Definitely worth doing in this sequence, because removing the stock wiring harness is a lot easier to do once you've done this change and know for sure what stays and what doesn't.

2. When I put in my new dash a few months ago, I ran 12v directly from the battery side of the solenoid to a relay under the dash. This relay is switched on by the "IGN/LPS" circuit, so it is powered during cranking and running. According to Howell, the most common problem they see is low voltage from somewhere in the stock harness, so this ensured I wouldn't have that problem.

3. Also when I did the dash, I modified a stock dash light with a "Check Engine" transparency I made along with a red light. Looks very cool to have a "stock" check engine light. See attached photo, sorry for the quality of the photo.

4. I downloaded Howell's install doc, and edited it together with info and photos from the SierraJeep.com Howell writeup (http://www.sierrajeep.com/howell.htm) and info from Dale Beckett's great "Adventures Under the Hood" writeup on stock emissions equipment (http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/home.htm). This gave me a step-by-step instruction manual with exact photos for every step. Very helpful.

That's about it, everything else went pretty much by the book. Oh, one more thing, go to AutoZone and buy assortments of vacuum tees, reducers and caps. Each assortment cost me less than 3 bucks and I needed a few parts from each as I was plumbing the new vacuum lines.

If anyone is contemplating a Howell conversion and wants more info, just email me.

jeff

Last edited:

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
Looks good. Want to make one of thoses check engine lights for me. I am in the middle of a chevy vortec engine swap.

Thanks,

Bill

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Sorry, I don't have time to start making these for others, but it's pretty simple - I've attached a PDF file with the image you'll need to make one yourself.

Start with a stock dash light. The stock label can be removed by carefully bending up two of the tabs on the chrome bezel of the light.

Make the new labels by getting a negative transparency of the attached file made at a print shop. The transparency I got made isn't a printout on a laser printer, it is a film transparency - laser printouts on transparency film aren't black enough. Note also Kinko's can't do this - they only output on laser printers. You'll need a "real" print shop. the negative should run you maybe $10.

Find some red semi-translucent plastic (I used red for Check Engine, blue for other lights to match the stock color), and put the new negative label in the bezel, followed by the blue plastic behind the negative, and then reinstall the bezel, bending the tabs back over. One source for translucent material is an office supply place, you can find report covers or notebooks made of translucent material. Test it, you might need two layers to get enough color.
Carefully bend the tabs back on the light and you're done.

Last edited:

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Has anyone found a shop to do the film negative for the check engine light? I have been calling around lately with mostly dead air on the other line when I ask. I'd be willing to pay shipping from anyone that'll do it.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Sorry, I don't have time to start making these for others... QUOTE]

Which brings up the question "What ARE you up to Mr Scherb...?" Must be some special black-ops related hush-hush thing for sure...LOL!