Fit problem with PS and Radiator

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
I just got done upgrading from manual to power steering. Put in a heavy duty steering gear box (AGR) and a heavy duty gear box mount (Sam's Offroad HD CJ bracket). Of course had to replace the lower steering shaft as the splines are of different size than what is found on the manual system. I am using a stock pump and new hoses from 4WD.

I ran into fit problems where the hoses attach to the gear box so I cut out some of the cross member to keep the metal hose ends from rubbing.
[/URL][/IMG]

Then I put the radiator in and now found the radiator outlet right above the PS hoses. Hardly any room to squeeze your finger between them. The PS hoses run along side the lower steering shaft and look like a potential rub problem.
[/URL][/IMG]

This is a 3-core radiator I was using with my manual steering set up. So is there differences radiators for PS verses manual steering applications on CJ-8?

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
no different radiator...believe it or not...that is just how it is. The 4WD p/s hoses may have been incorrectly bent causing the proximity to the x-member...I was having a similar problem with a "repro" hydraulic clutch line earlier today...it was too short...Had to do a little reshaping.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Fit

There is a difference in V-8 & 6 cylinder radiators. The 6 is set deeper into the grill area to allow for the extra length of the inline 6. I agree that the radiator hose is a little close, and "That's the way it is". Also agree that the PS hoses were most likely bent a little incorrectly.

:wave:

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
There is a difference in V-8 & 6 cylinder radiators. The 6 is set deeper into the grill area to allow for the extra length of the inline 6. I agree that the radiator hose is a little close, and "That's the way it is". Also agree that the PS hoses were most likely bent a little incorrectly.

:wave:
I was told to replace the coupler for a Borgeson . I guess it is smaller. if I was going to do that, do you just take off the stock one and slide on the new coupler? Borgeson has complete shaft assemblies some with vibration damping. Any benefit going that route? Over $300 with shipping, very expensive.

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
I disagree with there being a difference in radiators. Check any catalouge...the 6CLY HD radiator is the same as the standard one for a V-8. All CJ's use a standard size...they just add capacity (number and thickness of cores) depending on application.

Just my $.02.:D

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
I put an AGR box in a cj8 one time and remember that it was crazy how tight the tolerances were. I don't think it had anything to do with it being an AGR, but I'm not sure of that. I could barely get a wrench in there to tighten it, and even then I could only turn it a tiny bit at a time. It seemed like it took me all night just to tighten those two fittings. I should have just cut the crossmember like you did!

But the AGR box worked great once everything was bolted up!
-Mike