• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Fitting three people on the rear bench?

redrock4x4

Basic User
City
SLC
State
UT
Has anyone seen a bench that sits just above the wheel well to allow three people to fit on the rear bench. I am talking kids, not full grown adults.
I have searched high and low, and I hope some one else has done the same thing.

I am just about to buy an '84 cj8

Thanks

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Haven't seen one. Seats were made to fit between wheel wells. However, that doesn't prevent you from making something work. Remember that in a Scrambler you have enough room to put 2 back seats in to hold 4 instead of 3.

Truck

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
It'd be nice...

redrock4x4 said:
Has anyone seen a bench that sits just above the wheel well to allow three people to fit on the rear bench. I am talking kids, not full grown adults.
I have searched high and low, and I hope some one else has done the same thing.

I am just about to buy an '84 cj8

Thanks

I have not seen anything, i could sure use that too!

redrock4x4

Basic User
City
SLC
State
UT
3 people

I am trying to find a way to keep the cargo area open for camping equipment and yet take the wife and 3 children.

Does anyone know the dimensions (off hand) between the wheel wells? above the wheel wells, and cargo area behind the first seat?

Thanks

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
You've got about 36" between the wheelhouses and can probably get another 20"-22" usable inches spanning them, but you'll need to watch head clearance at that point. Not sure on the cargo area behind the seat, but I'm going to guesstimate about 34"

Guess you shoulda stopped at 2 kids ;)

You could get creative and just put a single seat all the way in the back which would still leave you half of the full cargo area and get creative with your packing/loading and maybe add a cargo rack.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Guess you shoulda stopped at 2 kids
Poor planning for a Jeep family.. :eek:

You could use the jump seat style like in fj40 landcruisers. They flip up out of the way when not in use and put the 3rd youngin in one leaving space for "some" cargo. Or get a cargo rack.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for but I measured the tub in my garage. Measurements w/o rollbar. 55" between body panels (over wheel wells), 35" between wheel wells, 60" from the rear of the front seat to the tailgate.

Truck

Marine-OpLaw

'ANTIQUATED' PackRat
City
Fredericksburg
State
VA
'Nuther idea...

'Had' the same problem...

Put a CJ-10a-style split bench seat in the front.... Voila! :p 5 seater Scrambler w/ plnty o' storage space. :cool: :D

Did you forget my set-up already brother Truck? :confused: (Or, is that payback for us not making it the first day @ Oak Ridge last fall? :o )

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
But then again there is the stretched scrambler that Fernando worked on.

Somebody arround here has to have a picture of that. Actually room for three bench seats, or two rows and cargo.

Carl

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
(Or, is that payback for us not making it the first day @ Oak Ridge last fall? )

Uh huh....we made sure he had a ride......even if you weren't :D .....

B

BritScrambler

You have two choices. 1) Get rid of one person. :p 2) Ride with two Benches in the rear as I do! :D

kevindw

Basic User
City
Hermosa Beach
State
CA
Rear Seat...

Sorry Man, I'm 230Lbs, my hips barely fit between the roll bar! :D

-Kevin