flaper down in the pass side floor board???

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
With all the heater knobs pushed in on the dash what is the position of the flapper supposed to be???? When I took mine apart last year the flap was spinning on the shaft and I took a guess on it and got it wrong, now when its cold out cold air comes out of the flap badddd. SO I assume I got it wrong.. Anybody got a pic or can go look at theres and let me know......... THIA Chris

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
With all the knobs pushed in the flapper should be closed. When you pull the air knob to "Vent" it should come open. Cover it up with a piece of cardboard and some duct tape until you have the energy to go back in and fix it :thumbsup:

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
Closed? like with the flap verticle? Up against the grill that you can see from the pass seat???

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
That knob is two stage - halfway open and it allows some air in to blow past the heater core - leaving through the vent closer to the driver (with a separate knob for "Temp"). All the way open and it fully allows air in through the cowl through that opening with the flapper. So much air that it kinda overwhelms the heater core and the air isn't so hot.

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
Thanks, Its been out all summer because I have been to lazy to put it back in so far. I just need grind the tacks off and reposition it the slap it back in before it turns cold. If the summer here in ga is any indicator of what kind of winter we will have it should be very cold.

City
Jackson
State
SC
That knob is two stage - halfway open and it allows some air in to blow past the heater core - leaving through the vent closer to the driver (with a separate knob for "Temp"). All the way open and it fully allows air in through the cowl through that opening with the flapper. So much air that it kinda overwhelms the heater core and the air isn't so hot.
I realize that this an old post..
In the process of refurbishing heater box in a 1983 scrambler due to leaking heater core, the amount of information in this forum on this subject is amazing. While putting cables back in, thinking that I had hooked them up parallel to the earths surface but couldn't get it to open fresh air intake vents. LMAO... who knew the knob would pull out till it hit the back glass.. problem solved. Thank you Walkerhound..
JT from SC