Flare options

City
Garner
State
NC
Looking for fender flare options that give a little more room for tires that rub in the usual places. I bought a pair of bushwacker cuttout flairs but just can't do it too ugly?

20200505_224613.jpg
Are there other options? Heard of ppl using tj flares and maybe yj? Ideally I would like to cut up to the inner wheel wells but look close to stock? What are my options?

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I wanted the stock look (not pocket flares) but with 2" more flare..i finally settled on the xenon but when they arrived I discovered they have "XENON" stamped into the front of them very prominently. That advertising sticks out like a dog's bullocks and really bothered me. I ultimately returned them and used stock flares.

My axles are 60.5" wide so they stick out a decent amount. Luckily, neither Florida nor New Mexico care about that, I would have just preferred the tyres be covered. I'd buy the xenon if they ever produce them without their name across the front in 1/2" letters, otherwise I like stock for not having to butcher the tub.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I run TJ flares on mine. The rear wheel well had very little trimming. The front had several inches. Between the extra width width of the flares (along the body, not out from it) and the amount removed from the body, I actually run CJ7 rocker protection. I'm guessing that equates to about 6 or 7 inches removed from the rear of the front wheel well.

I'll look for a better picture, but this is the best I had on my phone. These are 35s with a springover lift and 2.5 inch YJ lift springs.
Resized952019081095123403.jpg

There is a little better picture in my build thread.
https://www.cj-8.com/threads/it-lives.2517/post-398602

TXJEEP

Legacy Registered User
City
Denton
State
TX
I bought Metalcloak rear flares but I don't think I am going to use them. I am not suggesting them, just giving options.

City
Garner
State
NC
I rub pretty bad behind both the front and rear tires (you can kinda see from pic below). I am going to need some significant trimming, and I guess look into the tj option. I was just thinking with all the aftermarket crap out there, someone would make a longer stock looking flair to address this pretty common issue? 20200105_161202.jpg

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
If you want to measure from the body seem between the fender and the main tub to the wheel well opening, I can do the same to figure out how much you'll gain.

I rub pretty bad behind both the front and rear tires (you can kinda see from pic below). I am going to need some significant trimming, and I guess look into the tj option. I was just thinking with all the aftermarket crap out there, someone would make a longer stock looking flair to address this pretty common issue? View attachment 83551

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I moved my front axle forward 1". This helped centre it in the wheel well (never understood why AMC thought it best to put the axle at the rear of the front opening) and stopped the rubbing issue i had.

I only run 33×12.50 rubber so no rubbing issues in the rear. Any larger and i reckon I'd move the front axle forward a bit more and maybe have to trim the rear just a bit for full compression; although first I'd try moving it forward 1"as well to see whether that would solve it.

Attachments

City
Garner
State
NC
I moved my front axle forward 1". This helped centre it in the wheel well (never understood why AMC thought it best to put the axle at the rear of the front opening) and stopped the rubbing issue i had.

I only run 33×12.50 rubber so no rubbing issues in the rear. Any larger and i reckon I'd move the front axle forward a bit more and maybe have to trim the rear just a bit for full compression; although first I'd try moving it forward 1"as well to see whether that would solve it.
How did you move the axle forward just wrangler springs and new front perches? I think that's what I may do. Also those tires look bigger than 33's. I think I may downsize form 35's to 33's or maybe even 32's........

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I've got ECGS axles, Dana 60 rear, 44 front. The perches have three holes to allow for stock location or +/- 1".

Otherwise i would have welded new perches on to allow me to move them. I think they just look bigger because they stick out more. My axles are 60.5" wide.

This pic shows the axle placement a bit better, the last pic the tyres were turned a bit left.

Attachments

MikeV

Always learning
LIFETIME
SOA Member
City
Monroe
State
NY
That's a great looking rig! I love the full length bikini top and second row seating. I'm always the one driving but once my son gets his license I would love to chill in the back row and enjoy the ride. It's like a roller coaster you either want to be in the front or the back car.