rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Title says most of it. Not sure if all of you saw that ebay listing for the 82 project scrambler but I jumped on it immediately. The link is at the bottom of this post. It was a restoration project that never got completed so it's ALL in parts. The tub was sandblasted and sprayed, the frame is clean clean clean, it's got a 350 TPI that could be great, all the original parts, and a ridiculous amount of parts aftermarket parts, some that weren't mentioned like disc brake conversion kit and other goodies. Many of the aftermarket parts will be sold off so PM me if you guys have any interest.

Since I couldn't get it shipped in its current condition, I found a flight to Dallas for 76$ so my plan is to fly down there on Wednesday night, and then pick it up Thursday afternoon. Through Penske, I found a 26' box truck for right around $400 bucks so I'll be loading everything into the truck and driving it cross country back to New York. It's only a 22hr drive so it shouldn't be too bad.

Luckily, Collins Bros. is right outside of Dallas so I was going to make a pitstop there and pick up some things that have high shippings costs such as a new windshield for my daily driver and maybe a 20 gallon gas tank. If any of you need anything that has major shipping charges let me know and I can definitely pick it up for you (tranny, axles, whatever)

I also wanted to stop at check out Classic Car Liquidators to see up close the quality of their cars, since it's only about 20 minutes out of the way, I figured why not take a look at a few dozen old muscle cars! Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I should not miss in Dallas? It'll definitely be the farthest West I've ever ventured so I'm excited and I'll keep updating this thread with news on the scrambler.

Oh, and about that postal top :bacon:...I think now is a good time to come out and say that I was the lucky buyer of Rob's (AK-WRC) postal top. I was browsing Alaskan craigslist when I came across a post for some jeep parts, and noticed in the corner of the picture what appeared to be a postal barn door. I gave it a chance and called up and although that top wasn't for sale, he did have another that he was planning on selling! Jumped on that one too. That's is a whole other thread in itself, but basically I'm going to turn this 'new' scrambler into an overlander!!

Wish me luck, and of course, here are some pictures from the listing:

This is how he got it:

This is how it sits now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_590wt_1049

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Sounds like fun!!!! Where the heck are you going to perform this build?????

Will this be the first ever, mean streets of Manhattan Overlander build? Web cam please!!!

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
Be sure to try some Texas BBQ before you leave. I made just about the same drive last year and it is a solid 2 day trip. Have a safe journey.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Awesome! If you come up through Missouri be sure to drop me a line! We have a spare room you can crash in too if needed!

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
That is exactly how I found mine! Fortunately it was only 2.5 hrs or so away from me. It took a u-haul trailer for the frame, axles and body tub, my Commander had various small parts and the HALF CAB in the back of it, have a 5X10 trailer with roll bar, hood, grill, fenders, and random other parts. Then have the 304, trans and transfer case in the bed of a F150.

Believe it or not, we had a great time getting it home.

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
UPDATE!!

Thank you all for the kind words, this trip so far has been incredible! I landed in Dallas Wednesday night and stayed in the Hilton Dallas apart Cities! Beautiful hotel but motel 6's from there on out. Went to 'Idle Rich's for dinner and some drinks, cool local Texas bar. The next morning I drove an hour north to Bonham to pick it up. I can't tell y'all how happy I am with this purchase. I've never bought something sight unseen before so the whole time leading up to the unveiling I was really nervous and apprehensive. I've gone to see tons of scramblers off the net and people always forget to mention the massive rust holes in the frame or the fact that it's actually a stretched cj7!

This one is clean clean clean CLEAN! The tub is absolutely 100% perfect. The PO sandblasted it and then coated the bottom and inside with POR15. He sprayed the outside with epoxy primer and aside from a couple rough spots that need sanding, it's excellent. The fire wall has no holes cut in it and everything is super straight. Same for the frame, perfect condition. Everything was just as described, the doors, axles, fenders, hood, hardtop, glass, everything is great and will be reused. The TPI 350 appears to be in good condition but I haven't pulled the valve covers or intake manifold off yet so there is no telling. Perhaps the best part of the purchase was all the brand new in the box parts. Everything from new disc brake conversion kit, to NOS half soft top, decal kits, to seats and everything for the interior. Crazy amount of boxes from Omix and Rugged Ridge and Qtec that haven't been opened so I don't really know everything yet. Plus, he gave me 4 crates that weigh a couple hundred pounds each. He said it was all misc engine parts and other used cj parts that he got so I'm excited to check inside! I have no way of getting pics up yet, but I've taken over 400 so I'll post everything Wednesday when I get back.

Went to the AK hot springs yesterday, then Memphis at night for dinner and to catch up with some old college buddies. On the way I stopped at Criags BBQ which is a hole in the wall on the side of the road but some of the best BBQ I've ever had. Ever. I took the Nachez Trace for about a hundred miles and that is an amazing road to navigate. I'm in Nashville and then tomorrow I'm going to check out Louisville! Any scenic recommendations or great local food spot to recommend on the way from here to New York?? Pics coming soon!

RubberDuck

Legacy Registered User
City
Baltimore
State
MD
I think it's safe to say you're the only one currently hauling a load like that back to Manhattan. Well done sir!

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
UPDATE!!

Went to the AK hot springs yesterday, then Memphis at night for dinner and to catch up with some old college buddies. On the way I stopped at Criags BBQ which is a hole in the wall on the side of the road but some of the best BBQ I've ever had.
If you went to Craigs you weren't too far from me. I live in another tiny Eastern Arkansas town with even better BBQ than Craigs (Jones BBQ, owner won a James Beard award last year, only sells pulled pork sandwiches on white bread, and is open 7AM to when he sells out, usually around 11AM). You take the scenic route or head to Devall's Bluff just for the BBQ?

Smokey65

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Plantation
State
Fl
Sounds like you're having fun and making an adventure out of it. Looks like a good find and ought to be a fun build.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
lol... he wanted to put it at my house then got scared when I said I will do inventory for him...

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
He just called me. He just got back, and said he had a great trip. He's about to text me a few of the pics of random stuff that came with the Scrambler.

In the meantime, the postal top arrived in NY at the Jeep dealership that agreed to accept the crate for him. Even though he explained that it's a CJ-8 steel hard top (but apparently according to the dealer he must be buying one for an FJ or a Defender 90 since they never made a steel CJ-8 top, and he was to make sure the sender packed it carefully since the fiberglass tops tend to break during transport), the dealership threw a little bit of a fit because they didn't expect it to be so big. So as soon as he gets off of work, he has to run out and get the top off the dealer's lot.

For the record, the dimensions of the packed postal top (with all three doors) is smaller than the fiberglass top I ordered from XTreme Tops via RallyTops. I have no idea what the dealership was expecting to arrive when they agreed to accept the shipment.