• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Fold-N-Tumble rear seat in Scrambler ?

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Anyone ever put a Fold-N-Tumble rear seat in Scrambler ?

Before bedliner I moved the rear seat back to give rear passengers legroom.
I made some nuts from square stock and welded them underneath for the fixed rear seat.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/DSC01038.jpg

I've found a tonneau cover and thinking / hoping if the rear fold-n-tumble rear seat would fit underneath tonneau when folded up?

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/DSC01141.jpg

Also: This has been discussed about Scramblers only coming from factory with fixed rear seat's.

Does anyone know for sure which factory mounting bolts get re-used and besides the brackets on fender, are there other holes that need to be drilled?

I've asked several Jeep restoration experts but none are for certain about doing the swap.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I had one in mine- I used the OE nuts in front and welded strap to the bottom of the seat brackets to move it back. For the rear catch I did a similar thing with a plate bolted to the OE seatbelt holes, and the catch "Hoop" and seat belts attaching to the plate. Worked ok, but the hoop/seatbelt bracket was a pain when I wanted to load something large. It stuck up over an inch. I might try a recessed plate like on Blazers if I ever feel the need to reinstall the rear seat.

I also have a large flat box that fits between the rear wheelwells- it was a seat mount when I bought the Scrambler. Tapers from 6" at the front to 4" at the back. Supposedly dealer installed in 1982. I'm thinking of trying to incorporate the folding seat on top of it as an option.

Course now that the Kids are moved out, I really only need room for my dogs, not for people!

EDIT_ I just reread your post and I realized you're talking about an OEM seat- I was talking about a Bestop seat. The catch brackets are completely different.

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. So a few months ago when I came across these photos (maybe on CJ-8.com?) of someone's 8 with a rear seat installed, I had to save them for future reference.

Maybe someone will recognize their scrambler in these photos and post more information.

RandyLL

1 Long CJ
City
Highland
State
IL
I put one in mine. I think it was from a YJ. Works great. Makes more room in the back when installed or for keeping the sun (or rain) off when parked.
I believe it will stick up higher than the bed when tumbled forward but not when folded down.
I moved mine about 10" back because I leave my bulkhead in all the time. Enough room for the kids. I drilled new holes and welded nuts underneath to make removing the brackets easier. (When the half top is on, I usually remove the seat and brackets.) The fender catches were located based on where the seat ended up. To keep it simple, I bolted the seatbelts to the bottom of the seat. Not as secure as the floor, but I decided it was safe enough for my needs. I then used the original seatbelt bracket floor holes for tie down anchors. I'll try to post some pictures later.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
rear seat

Thanks for the replies and pics please keep posting.

I got rear seat guess now need to find the factory brackets and see if it will work with fixed seat bolt spacing.

ElDee

SC N8IV
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I have a Bestop Fold-n-tumble in my 8. The pictures I have do not show detailed installation, however. If you would like me to get some photos up, just let me know and I'll get 'em on. :thumbsup: