• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

For you postal junkies:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
My club went out to help the museum with their annual spring clean-up in preparation of the museum opening today. I took some photos of their 8:
Postal6-1.jpg

Postal2-1.jpg

Postal9-1.jpg

Postal7-1.jpg

Postal8-1.jpg

Postal1-1.jpg

Postal5-1.jpg

Postal3-1.jpg

Postal4-1.jpg

Major Jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Zillah
State
Wa
Thanks, this is great.

I noticed the number on the passenger side front fender. Mine is T.P. 35. I wonder if this is the vehicle inventory number? I also have a metal disc on the key chain that has #3280219 on it.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Anything in particular people want pics of? I could probably talk them into unlocking it so I could get some interior photos.

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
That's how we would like ours to look someday!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Cool, you had much better access than I did when I was there, it was out in a pole barn and had limited ability to walk around it. I didn't pop the hood either.

Very sweet pics :thumbsup:

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Thanks, this is great.

I noticed the number on the passenger side front fender. Mine is T.P. 35. I wonder if this is the vehicle inventory number? I also have a metal disc on the key chain that has #3280219 on it.

T.P. is tire pressure. 50 seems high.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Soooooooo....what's with the Holstein in the first picture? Was that a past mode of transportation or current?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Mine didn't have that bumper at all. Totally different step bumper.

On another note, I remembered once I saw the sign on the front of the postal tray, this thing has the axillary gas-powered heater under the left (IIRC) side of the tub behind the door opening. The documents from the USPS donation that I have mention that the Postals sent up north had this because the Jeep would never heat up (shocking).

It was cool to see, didn't get under it to see the details of how the fuel feed worked and all...

Major Jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Zillah
State
Wa
My bumper looks the same in the middle. The top has diamond plate and the ends are rounded.

Did they all have an extra heater? Don't remember seeing one.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
2013 MATI spring cleanup was last weekend, and the 4x4 community again came out in force. Last fall I found out that the postal got moved into winter storage in a warehouse to make room for a Halloween party, and then a change in the indoor exhibit. Last weekend, I saw that the postal was back on display, but just out in the yard. That being said, the lighting was better:

C05528C266C546C7BBEF737159DBFE8992380000-1.jpg

I'm interested in how the mirror attached for my wife's project:
823713018ABC4585A4E2488917AE77D592380000-1.jpg

And I realized there's a mirror on the fender I don't have:
19BC78D4E63C485D8C88341F5387338A92380000-1.jpg

The bumper that I have is also the diamond-plate style rather than like on this one. We also don't have one with the auxiliary heater.

One thing that I realized of some significance: the seat is a cloth-type that doesn't match any other CJ seat frame design or cloth material. The "driver's" seat in the MATI postal is the same as the one in ours (ok, my wife's). Nor is the seat frame bracket the same the same as the "normal" non-tilt brackets.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That is a restored postal hat was used in service, so it's very possible that the seat was recovered for display and maybe put together by a local upholstery shop. I had that door mirror mounting setup, but a different mirror. Fender mirror might be a DJ part, they should have had the same hood tie downs I would think.

What's the logo on the side?

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
That is a restored postal hat was used in service, so it's very possible that the seat was recovered for display and maybe put together by a local upholstery shop. I had that door mirror mounting setup, but a different mirror. Fender mirror might be a DJ part, they should have had the same hood tie downs I would think.

Squinting....I think it says "Museum Of Alaska"

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
That is a restored postal hat was used in service, so it's very possible that the seat was recovered for display and maybe put together by a local upholstery shop.

The thing is that my (wife's) postal has the exact same seat! The seat frame and cushioning is different than a "standard" AMC Jeep seat.

I had that door mirror mounting setup, but a different mirror.
The postal in my garage has a slightly different door mirror too, but I'm still not sure it's just some random trucker mirror that was sourced from NAPA or something.
Fender mirror might be a DJ part, they should have had the same hood tie downs I would think.
Good call! I'll check that out.
The museum's logo. I think it's just a magnet, but I didn't look too closely.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I'm interested in how the mirror attached for my wife's project:
823713018ABC4585A4E2488917AE77D592380000-1.jpg

And I realized there's a mirror on the fender I don't have:
19BC78D4E63C485D8C88341F5387338A92380000-1.jpg

The bumper that I have is also the diamond-plate style rather than like on this one.

One thing that I realized of some significance: the seat is a cloth-type that doesn't match any other CJ seat frame design or cloth material. The "driver's" seat in the MATI postal is the same as the one in ours (ok, my wife's). Nor is the seat frame bracket the same the same as the "normal" non-tilt brackets.

Both of my postals had the rear bumpers with diamond plate on the top; not the normal rear step bumper as shown. Neither of mine had the fender mounted mirror but do have the same left hand side mirror as the museum postal. One strange thing about one of my postals is where the windshield hood rests and tie down are located, it has plugs installed instead. I have also wondered what the correct seat for the postal Scramblers is supposed to be.

If you get a chance, could you snag a few pictures of the seat bracket, how the E-brake handle attaches to it, along with a couple of pictures of the divider panel and mail tray. I always wondered how the seat brackets on the Overlanders worked in conjunction with the emergency brake bracket; JerseyJeep any insight on this? :D

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Both of my postals had the rear bumpers with diamond plate on the top; not the normal rear step bumper as shown. Neither of mine had the fender mounted mirror but do have the same left hand side mirror as the museum postal. One strange thing about one of my postals is where the windshield hood rests and tie down are located, it has plugs installed instead. I have also wondered what the correct seat for the postal Scramblers is supposed to be.

Keep in mind that many people bought these and immediately trashed all the "unique" postal qualities, including the tops, and they've been around the block now as much as any other '84 CJ has been. Prior owners are very likely to have swapped seats, changed/trashed mirrors, cut the dash, installed the hood plugs, etc.

If you get a chance, could you snag a few pictures of the seat bracket, how the E-brake handle attaches to it, along with a couple of pictures of the divider panel and mail tray.
I can do all of that with the one I have in my driveway, except for the mail tray. I only know of three mail trays: one in the museum, and two in a guy's storage barn in Kodiak.

I always wondered how the seat brackets on the Overlanders worked in conjunction with the emergency brake bracket; JerseyJeep any insight on this? :D
Both of my postals still have the original hand brakes. I'll look tonight if JerseyJeep doesn't get to it first.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Keep in mind that many people bought these and immediately trashed all the "unique" postal qualities, including the tops, and they've been around the block now as much as any other '84 CJ has been. Prior owners are very likely to have swapped seats, changed/trashed mirrors, cut the dash, installed the hood plugs, etc.

I would hate to think how many postal tops and doors were trashed after the Jeeps were auctioned off! :( The left side mirrors on my postals both say "property of USPS":

Judging from what I have seen with my own postals, your bumper, and what others who own them have posted; I would bet the correct rear step bumper for the postals was the style with diamond plate across the top and not the style shown on the Postal in the museum. Bad picture:

I can do all of that with the one I have in my driveway, except for the mail tray. I only know of three mail trays: one in the museum, and two in a guy's storage barn in Kodiak.
You can make that four, I have one of these mail trays as well! I have never seen one installed though. It will be going back in the postal I am wanting to restore to original.

Both of my postals still have the original hand brakes. I'll look tonight if JerseyJeep doesn't get to it first.
Both of my postals still have the hand brake as well; I guess I should have rephrased my question. The seat brackets in both of my Postals were cut up to accommodate the random seats the PO's installed so I am not sure what exactly the original postal seat brackets were supposed to look like. And I was just curious if the Overlanders and other RHD CJ's of this era used the same seat bracket as the postal CJ8s.

Snag a few pictures of you seat and seat brackets too when you get a chance!