• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Ford 7.3 Godzilla swap?

urchinhead

Basic User
City
San Francisco
State
CA
I started looking into this, as parts are available to bolt to an NV4500, and this is a modular motor pattern. The ECM has not been officially released, but it will be soon. I can’t figure out how high the motor sits with the intake. Any info out there?

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
One article about it says "those w IU th big engine bays.....". I would say that eliminates Jeep CJ's. Might fit, the cooling system would probably be another story.

urchinhead

Basic User
City
San Francisco
State
CA
I did’t realize this board was sponsored by Fox News, but if anyone has any exterior dimensional information on this motor, that would be great. The width seems possible, but I can’t find any information on the height.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Sorry to say it like that. Just that every person that try's to change out original is left in an almost impossible situation to change it. So an engine like that sounds almost impossible. Like I said, Sorry

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I think it would be a cool swap. The 7.3 has an in block cam which would reduce the overall width and deck height. In stock form that engine makes more power than I would feel comfortable running in a scrambler sized vehicle. It is something different and cool and you would likely be the only person with that setup.

Before starting I would ensure that you will be able to smog it in CA. The reason jeepers and motor heads dump on CA is due to the difficulty of getting seemingly minor changes approved. There are shops that specialize in smog approved upgrades, its just harder there than in other states.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Being that the Godzilla is available as a crate engine, I’ll bet they get a version that is CARB approved, much like some of the LS performance engines from GM.

Regarding power, it is in line with many of the LS engines and Hemi’s. Sub 500 hp and tq does not sound crazy in a scrambler.

I think this would be a neat alternative to the “LS swap it craze”. (Coming from somebody working on an LS swap).

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL

urchinhead

Basic User
City
San Francisco
State
CA
I was going to install a free 1998 Explorer 5.0
Small block, and still might, but with the the P heads causing problems with header availability and the computer issues and fading interest in, “reflashing,” the original units, it might be more cost efficient to move on to newer technology. The Godzilla is far more narrow than the SOHC modular motors but the height might make it impossible.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Well, there's this.... https://www.procharger.com/godzilla-transplant-system-page

FORD%207.3L%20SWAP_Page_1.jpg

urchinhead

Basic User
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Thanks for the good info, and I appreciate the apology (I would rather avoid politics and California bashing on the auto forums). I am going to keep researching this. I will email Ford about the ECM and see what they say. My original plan was to use the Explorer motor and find a used supercharger, but with the parts needed to mate Explorer and Mustang parts and then fit them in the CJ it might work out easier and not that much more expensive to go another route.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
What about a mod motor ZF instead of the NV? Less "custom" parts, assuming it all plays well in the pilot bearing area.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Ford Performance says packaged dimensions of the crate motor are:
Packaged Dimensions = 36.5" x 44.5" x 36
Packaged Weight = 737 lb(s)
:shrug:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
From the above linked thread- looks like it's close to LS size.
godzilla.jpeg

urchinhead

Basic User
City
San Francisco
State
CA
What about a mod motor ZF instead of the NV? Less "custom" parts, assuming it all plays well in the pilot bearing area.
ZFs are typically larger than the transmissions with a separate bell housing. I already have the NV4500, but I will have to make sure that the parts will all get along.

Concerning Smog, not all zip codes in California require an inspection, FYI. I’m still annoyed with the end of the, “rolling exemption.”

urchinhead

Basic User
City
San Francisco
State
CA
I saw where they trimmed the pan for a swap. The intake height is more worrisome.