Frame repair suggestions

jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Daytona
State
FL
I have an 84 CJ8. Some fool hit me from the back. I have a receiver hitch, welded to rear cross member, with angle iron to the frame member ahead of it that holds up the rear of the gas tank. Bent those two cross members. I can pull/straighten them or cut them out and replace them with something more substantial, like 1/8 inch channel.
Opinions?/Ideas?

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Well for the rear crossmember you need to contact Chiefwaho on this site. The best option around.
He may be able to help you with the other one as well.

jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Daytona
State
FL
I can't figure out the pics. Description: The rear member is rolled under a little. The member by the gas tank is pushed forward (bowed) about 1 inch in the middle. They are connected by angle iron from my receiver hitch. I can fix them pretty easy. I was just wondering if there was any advantage in beefing them up, with something like 1/8 or 1/4 inch channel.
I'm kind of amazed how little it hurt the rear member and how much it moved the gas tank one. If I fix it, I think I will not attach the angle to the middle of the gas tank cross member, but run it at an angle to where the gas tank member and the frame meet.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Jack,

Sorry to hear that someone hit your cool custom top Scrambler.
Hope you weren't hurt and that they have insurance. (or is FL a no-fault state?)

For a really good receiver hitch, look in my 82 Oriental build thread to see pics of the Grand Wagoneer "A" shaped hitch. Direct bolt on to Scrambler.

Email the pics to me and I'll post them up.

jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Daytona
State
FL
I'll have to find a Waggy and copy the hitch.

Chiefwaho, I PM'd you my zip to figure price, shipping on the two cross members.