• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Frame replacement

Psully

Basic User
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Port Jefferson
State
NY
I have been working on my 83 for 5 years. I am thinking about replacing the frame. Any one have any recommendations for replacement.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I replaced mine about 6 years ago. I was looking at the TFK ones, but found a couple on craiglist and licked out with finding one only a few hours away. I was honestly looking for one for about 9 months though. Almost pulled the trigger on a TDK. They look really nice.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I bought a replacement for my ’82. I found it on Craigslist about 3 hours away. Thing looked almost factory fresh. I am in the process of welding on frame plates. By the time I am done with the cost of strengthening the plates (time & money) I should have just bought a TDK. I could have also gotten the hybrid frame with TJ suspension. Really wish I had gone that route. I will have to save that for a future project.

So, in short, I would get a TDK and not think twice about it. Best bang for the buck. (Not cheap though)

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I used TDK Hybrid on Project Blue... almost finished, short drive confirmed drives like an LJ... Hybrid has a two inch body lift based on frame body mount locations. Need to use TDK center skid as it fits better than stock. On hybrid front shock towers require trimming inner fender well, front bumper needed cutting as frame rails are larger. The front cover for frame rails needed to use TJ to cover over sway bar mounts. If you go hybrid you have to add coil spring, track bar brackets to axle. I went with new Dana 44 JK axles cut to TJ width. TDK is a quality product and recommend 3D2CD14C-04C9-4D90-AA93-D62F2E98604D.jpeg8478291F-AB8A-45FE-B806-D723E11D8B6F.jpeg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Current project uses a TDK frame and I even cut it in half and streteched it... very beefy frame, but not inexpensive by any stretch.

cb

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I also have a TDK frame and have zero regrets about it. A friend of mine is getting started on replacing the frame on his 7 based on my experience with TDK.

Psully

Basic User
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Port Jefferson
State
NY
I bought a replacement for my ’82. I found it on Craigslist about 3 hours away. Thing looked almost factory fresh. I am in the process of welding on frame plates. By the time I am done with the cost of strengthening the plates (time & money) I should have just bought a TDK. I could have also gotten the hybrid frame with TJ suspension. Really wish I had gone that route. I will have to save that for a future project.

So, in short, I would get a TDK and not think twice about it. Best bang for the buck. (Not cheap though)

Thank you for the information
I have been looking at the TDK frame with the TJ option. Is it trying to make a CJ8 something it’s not. Do you know anyone that has done it.

Psully

Basic User
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Port Jefferson
State
NY
I used TDK Hybrid on Project Blue... almost finished, short drive confirmed drives like an LJ... Hybrid has a two inch body lift based on frame body mount locations. Need to use TDK center skid as it fits better than stock. On hybrid front shock towers require trimming inner fender well, front bumper needed cutting as frame rails are larger. The front cover for frame rails needed to use TJ to cover over sway bar mounts. If you go hybrid you have to add coil spring, track bar brackets to axle. I went with new Dana 44 JK axles cut to TJ width. TDK is a quality product and recommend View attachment 87570View attachment 87571
That’s is a work of art

Psully

Basic User
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Port Jefferson
State
NY
I also have a TDK frame and have zero regrets about it. A friend of mine is getting started on replacing the frame on his 7 based on my experience with TDK.
I’m sold thanks for the help. Any pictures

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Is it trying to make a CJ8 something it’s not.

I think there are 2 types of Jeeps (discounting the mall crawlers). 1. Original time capsules and 2. Tools used for a purpose. Both are wonderful things and I have a love for both. But the second is much more useful. And to that end, any modifications made to make it more useful is welcomed. As great as the leaf spring suspension is, you don’t find that type of suspension on any newer vehicles from the factory (other than some truck rear suspension). There is a reason for that. Most custom off road buggies are based on some form of coil suspension. I personally think buying a frame with factory designed suspension that has been proven excellent is a great improvement. Now, I would never do that to a ”1” type Jeep, but have no hesitation on the 2nd type.

Psully

Basic User
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Port Jefferson
State
NY
Well put, thanks for the info. I am def #2 on this one

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I had a stock perfect frame, so I couldn’t justify changing it, especially for a light use trail rig (that has now morphed into a show Jeep) But- I really wanted an excuse to use a TDK frame, with the TJ suspension. Maybe next build. So- if you have a chance, I vote TDK.