From manual to automatic

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Can't believe I am even debating this; but, some unforeseen things have made driving a manual transmission possibly difficult long term. So, I am debating a change over to an automatic during my rebuild. I know the simple things... Just trying to see what I am missing.

I know I will need a new steering column. Will my Dana 300 bolt up or do I need to look for a different T-case? Drive shafts?? What about the pedal assembly? I assume I could just remove the clutch and retain the pedal assembly? Is there a better alternative?

And, I guess most importantly, what transmission should I look for that will bolt up best / easiest?

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Thats a big question but yes new 2 driveshafts , column, tunnel cover,carpet,wiring,transmission,converter, mounts, auto linkages,auto pedal,pedal switch, maybe gears. But it all doable.

Sent from my SM-N910P

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Radiator, transmission mount bracket, cooler lines, MCU computer if applicable..................

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
We have our IOK Four Wheelers Swap Meet April 8, 9, 10. could be a good place to source all the above. I would recomend the AW4 for the overdrive out of an early XJ. There seems to be quite a few XJs being parted out.:wave:

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Check out using a 700r4 GM transmission. Adapters available for the engine and t case from Advance Adapters. I am looking at going auto as well. 700r4 is a 4 speed auto, adapts easy with cable floor shifters you would not need to change steering column. There is remote mountable shift position indicator lights available to work with the cable shifter. Check out AA and Speedway hot rod shop catalogs. Brake and clutch pedals do not need replaced they can be modified and never removed. (Did it in a CJ5 when I swapped engine and trans together easier to on the bench though). I changed radiators but later, switched to external coolers and by passed the radiator, so having to change radiator is not a given.

PM me and I will give you my number if you want to talk about some of the things.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have a 700R4 behind a TBI 350 in my tan Scrambler. Behind a V8 it is nice. Behind a 6 cylinder, don't know :shrug:

An automatic bleeds off some engine power, and if you have a 258, you don't have a lot to spare. Is the overdrive worth it, guess it depends on tire size, horsepower/torque, and axle gear ratio :twocents:

With stock size tires/axle gears, the factory CJ 3 speed auto works well :twocents:

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
UGH...exactly what I was afraid of...more in depth than I was hoping for. Thanks. Now time to research, see how much it will run, and see how important this will be.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Merton
State
WI
Grabbing a complete CJ with an automatic for a donor would be your best bet. FYI, the steering column for a TF999 is different than the column from a T400.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I vote getting a TF999, which was the original CJ automatic.

Your T5 length driveshafts will work without modification with the TF999. You'd need a column from an auto CJ with linkage (or you can use an aftermarket cable from ididit), tunnel cover (or just bolt a plate over your T5 shifter hole), the transmission, cooler lines and a new radiator (or an external cooler) and the tranny mount.

I've got most of the stuff collected in my shop to eventually go into my green CJ. Really need to start on that as my eldest is pushing 13 now and will be driving in a couple of years.

Here's a good spot to do a little research. Rudy is a member here.

http://www.rudys-cjs.com/pictorial_...manual_shift_cj_to_an_automatic_on_the_column

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Yeah, I think for simplicity I would just go TF999. I believe that my radiator has transmission cooler in it (I bought a replacement a few years ago). I would most likely get an external cooler too.

I am somewhat surprised by the electrical changes.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Yeah, I think for simplicity I would just go TF999. I believe that my radiator has transmission cooler in it (I bought a replacement a few years ago). I would most likely get an external cooler too.

I am somewhat surprised by the electrical changes.
Eh, the neutral safety switch, backup lights (one plug) and new starter solenoid is really all you need to do. Can probably rig something up without too much trouble.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Locar also makes a floor shiftier that will bolt to the transmission itself and come up through the floor access panel where your manual does now.

So you will not need a new column, or carpet or floor panel.

Type of transmission is debateable, but least cost would be a 999/904 out of a CJ. Not sure on driveshaft length but you might get lucky, or try to by them at the same time. If you need the OD then an AW4 can be used from a YJ or XJ but you will need a clocking ring/spacer to make that work.

The GM transmissions generally will need an adapter kit. Novak does a pretty good job there. But in the end then you might want to have gone with a 5.3 engine and 700R4 by the time you are done.

The 999 will be the most economical solution. They can actually be bought directly from Jasper rebuilt, but you will get hit with a core charge.

Carl

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Not sure on driveshaft length but you might get lucky, or try to by them at the same time.

Carl
The T5 driveshafts should be the correct length for the TF999. When looking into the swap I discovered that T4/T5 driveshafts are the same as the automatic, so my plan is to take the T176 out of the green Jeep, put it in the tan Jeep, and then take the T5 out of the tan Jeep and get rid of it. That way I can swap everything over from green to tan that is T176 related, and then use the T5 driveshafts with my TF999.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I took a 1985 CJ7 and converted it from a 999 to a t5. The driveshafts were close but not the same. The parts book lists different lengths also. But that was just my experience once, not sure if it's gospel [emoji6]

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Hmmm. I think I figured out why I had that in my head.

From Jeepdocs old site, the only automatic rear shaft they show is for a 1980, and it's the same as the 82-86 T5 rear driveshaft, BUT the 80 Dana 300 has a shorter output, right?

I always figured that since the rear driveshafts were the same that they were interchangeable, but I was overlooking the short output Dana 300.

The fronts do show as being different, and obviously the shorter output Dana 300 wouldn't have any effect on the front driveshaft.

Front
Front Driveshaft, Collapsed Length: 31-3/4" Model: CJ-5, CJ-7, CJ-8, w/6 Cyl., T-4 & T-5 Year: 1982-1986
Front Driveshaft, Collapsed Length: 32-5/8" Model: CJ-7, CJ-8, w/6 or 8 Cyl., Auto Year: 1980-1981

Rear
Collapsed Length: 20-3/4" Model: CJ-7, 6 Cyl. w/T4 or T5 Year: 1982-1986
Collapsed Length: 20-3/4" Model: CJ-7, All w/Auto Year: 1980

Sooo, is less than an inch difference enough to cause problems?

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
I'm doing the swap right now. 6 cyl/t5. 401/727 auto. Go with the 999. Pretty simple swap as stated

City
Berkeley Lake
State
GA
Great info...and timely as i want to go with an Auto in my dream project.

Figured the TF999 would be the easiet route - anyone have issues using a V8 with this approach?

What else would be on the list?

Apologies to the OP for the slight OT on this.