• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Front end shimmy

*JOKER*

Basic User
City
Norfolk
State
VA
Who else experiences this? She's fine until about 45 mph, then all hell breaks loose. It will subside if I accelerate, but once I level out at any speed above 45 mph, she'll do it again.

I currently have 35" mudders (nearing the end) and no steering stabilizer. One of the tires was so bad during balancing, I had to put weights half way around the rim! That one is on the back now and brand new 35" BFG AT/KOs will be going on in the next week.

Should I get a steering stabilizer in addition to new tires and a front-end alignment? I need to use her on the road, too!

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. If you're planning on doing the tires anyway, that would be a good place to start. That way you can eliminate the old tires as a cause. Getting an alignment when getting new tires is always a good idea as well. A Steering stabilizer will help control the bigger tires, but won't really do much to prevent a shimmy of any kind. It is more helpful with larger inputs... such as when you hit a pothole or rock/curb etc. If none of the above works, it probably would be a good idea to check your whole front end over... ujoints etc. Does the shimmy appear to be just from the front end or is it rear??? both???

Good luck,

Kyle

*JOKER*

Basic User
City
Norfolk
State
VA
Shimmy

Thanks for the reply. I can't tell (but won't dismiss) if it's happening in the rear also. I just know that I feel it in the steering wheel and it makes the entire rig shake.

As for the new tires, they were needed in a bad way. The mudders that my Scrambler came with were down to about an 1/8 of lug. Hopefully, the AT KOs will be easier to balance, too.

Dwain

Basic User
City
Baytown
State
TX
Front End Shimmy

Joker,
I see where you put alot of weights on the rim to balance. Are you sure one or more of your rims are not bent? I use a reputable front end place, but I had to ask to watch them balance before I found the bent rim. Good Luck - Dwain

huber_jr

hubey
City
fulton
State
md
The shakes

You should never put more then 9 oz of weight on a truck tire and 6oz on a car tire( and theses are extreme #s). If the tire won't balance put a mark on the rim and the tire inline and remove the tire from the rim. Check in the tire to water or sand(I had this happen to me) If the tire is clean on the inside, rotate the tire 45 to 90 degrees from the marks made on the rim and tire and reinstall tire. The tire and rim should now balance. If does not work, the tire needs to be replaced. It doesn't sound like a balance problem to me, because the shake would be there under accelaration , also it would smooth out at differnt speeds above 45mph. Check to make sure both locking hubs are completely disengaged(turn each axles shaft at the wheel joint) Also check the front end parts for looseness while both front tires are jacked up off the ground. Check to make sure t-case is in 2WD. Check wheel bearings for play and finally check that all shock mounting points are intact and that front shocks are not worn out. Good luck

Tom

P.S. Check driveshaft U-joints while vehicle is in neutral.

*JOKER*

Basic User
City
Norfolk
State
VA
Thanks for all the replies. I've replaced the tires and got a front end alignment. This is what I found:

1. The new 35" BFG All Terrain AT KOs balance much easier than full up mudders.

2. The front end alignment and balanced tires dramatically knocked down the shimmy.

3. Due to the excessive shimmy prior to the tire swap, the bolts attaching my power steering box were about 5 threads from falling off!

4. I assume the same forces caused the hubnuts up forward to back off and give play in the bearings.

5. The steering shaft to steering box junction gets alot of slop in it in after relatively short mileage. Apparently, this is common knowledge to Jeep gurus. It can be rebuilt ($50 kit), replaced with OEM parts (around $150) or upgraded with a heavy duty steering shaft ($230).

Well, that's about it. I plan on fixing the steering shaft junction and snugging up the hub nuts this week. I'll post with the results.

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
If you can afford to up grade your steering shaft-do it you'll be a lot happier in the long run-JC:p

*JOKER*

Basic User
City
Norfolk
State
VA
Hmmmm

Thanks, Mule. Is it a job that requires in depth knowlede of steering linkage or can I do it myself?

It doesn't look too difficult, but the alignment shop suggested I have a qualified mechanic do it. :confused:

Oh yeah, one more thing...the one with the vibration dampener is $25 more. Is it worth it? Thanks. :D

Last edited:

*JOKER*

Basic User
City
Norfolk
State
VA
Update

I torqued the front axle spindle nuts to spec and replaced the stock steering shaft with a Borgeson dampened steering shaft this past week.

The shimmy has completely dissapeared. Also, the wander has dramatically reduced...enough to satisfy me, anyway. I wouldn't consider it a "highway vehicle," but if I wanted one of those, I'd get a caddy ;) .