• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Fuel filler necks... CJ7 = CJ8???

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
4WD catalog says late model CJ7, CJ5 and 1981 CJ8 fuel filler necks are the same. Are 82-86 CJ8 fuel filler necks the same too?

I need one for my 1985 CJ8. I'm hoping CJ7/CJ5 fuel filler necks will work.... it probably is easier to find a CJ7/5 neck than a CJ8 neck.

Thanks,
Jim

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
FORUM OWNER
City
Lexington
State
SC
filler necks - oh the horror

no, they are not the same. The CJ-8 is a longer one that has more bends in it. The CJ-7 one will be too short.

I have been having this problem for about a year now trying to find some fuel filler hose that is the correct site. The ones I did find and cut were too large for the inlet on my factory 22 gal CJ tank. And to boot. Because it is not premolded, when you try to shove it through the small hole in the body tub channel it kinks and also when you try to route it into the inlet it will kink again. So, it takes me 10 minutes to fill the gas tank.

I have searched high and low for fuel filler hose.. Even referred to some fuel supply places but still haven't had any luck.

If anyone knows how/where to buy fuel filler hose in bulk, let me know and buy me some while you are at it.. and I will pay to have some shipped to me. I've been searching everywhere for some and still haven't found any that is the right size that will work.

but, summary, is.. no cj5 and cj7 filler hoses are different than the cj-8 and the CJ-8 I believe are not even available anymore which leads you to try and find a piece of fuel rated rubber hose from a fuel supply or napa .. in which case, I haven't found the correct size yet.

matt

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
Hey Jim,
If you are talking about the metal flange that you put the nozzle at the gas station into, then I believe they are the same for the same years. I know that the gas cap from my '85 is not the same as on my '82. I don't think that the lengths are any different.

Hey Matt,
I just went through this myself. My filler hose had a small crack, so I thought I would replace it while I had my tub off. I ordered the CJ8 filler hose from 4WD Hardware. Their hose was about 4"s too short. I called and spoke with one of their tech advisors, and they told me I had the correct hose. Well, their correct hose is 4"s shorter than my factory hose and there is no way it will work. I tried purchasing some filler hose from a local autoparts chain, but it ended up being coolant hose. I decided my small crack wasn't too bad and re-used my old hose. I figure I will replace it when I have to.

Anyway this might help you out. Try buying the proper sized fuel filler hose from a boat supply/parts yard. They sell many different I.D. fuel hoses, and should have one that works. Then go to Home Depot, or an electrical supply house. Purchase some flexible plastic conduit(sometimes called Raintite) that has the same I.D. as the O.D. of the fuel hose. Slip the conduit over the fuel filler hose and install on your Scrambler. The conduit is rigid enough that it will not kink, but flexible enough to fit through the holes in the tub. By placing the filler hose inside the conduit it will not kink. Hope this helps. I am not sure how economical this solution is, but i will probably try it when my hose fails.

Later,

Last edited:

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
Filler neck clarification

Sorry for the confusion. The piece I need to replace is the flange/opening that the gas pump nozzle goes into (the one with the restrictor that allows only unleaded gas to be pumped).

Thanks guys for the filler hose comments.... How much would you like to bet that when I take the hose off, it cracks and rips. :o)

The Raintite plastic conduit to prevent the hose from kinking is a creative solution.

Jim

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
FORUM OWNER
City
Lexington
State
SC
ahh..yes, those should be the same

that exterior black trim piece.. and the metal funnel piece.. yes those should be the same for cj5 and cj7's

matt