Full hardtop and odd doors?

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Being a novice to things of this level I bow to your advanced wisdom sir! LOL! I'd like one...heehee, just don't know if I could afford one. How much for the wooden version?:D Maybe you could work on a "hard" tonneu cover at some point too?:thumbsup:
If by "hard tonneau", you mean a cover for the bed area when a half-cab is used, no, I don't have any plans to build one of those.

But if you mean a "hard bikini", I have designed that option for this top, with roll-down windows... the same roof would be used, the side panels would get swapped out, that's what's nice about the modular design - the tops can be reconfigured to different versions, using many of the same parts and a few different ones:

City
White Rock
State
NM
Jeff, are my eyes playing ticks or do I see a conventional half cab and one that is a bit extended? I would love to have a bit of space, usable space, behind the seats on my scrambler. Moreover, why haven't we enjoyed the progress to this point, or have I just been oblivious again?

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
Jeff: Did you get the PM I sent you?

Eric: Yes those are the doors I am supposed to have a deal with the guy on, however he has stopped taking my calls and won't return messages. I'm not sure if he is out of town or just dodging me.

I'm reasonably sure the top was a manufactured item by someone, as I said above I have a Scrambler here in Ojai with one just like it. and I have seen several others in the last few weeks.

Randy

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Jeff, are my eyes playing ticks or do I see a conventional half cab and one that is a bit extended? I would love to have a bit of space, usable space, behind the seats on my scrambler. Moreover, why haven't we enjoyed the progress to this point, or have I just been oblivious again?
Hi Terry,
Yes, I've actually designed three different length half-cabs for this project. One is the same length as the Scrambler half cab (and the same length as my Gaucho half-cab), the second one (shown below in a photo-mockup on an LJ) is the same length as the Brute and Retro Wrangler half cabs, and the third is even longer and even has small "opera windows" on the sides.

Since this project is about CJ's, YJ's and TJ's and not just Scramblers, I've been posting every detail of the build in a thread on jeepforum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...roject-952157/

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Terry,
Here's the concept drawing I did of the XL half cab with side windows:

I'm not sure if I'll ever build one of these extended cabs, but I did the concept drawing to see how it would look.

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
Another route that I have seen in Moab UT during the Easter Jeep Safari with Scramblers is to use a CJ7 top, and I have seen both hard and soft tops done this way. It is a simple alternative to the difficulty of finding a Scrambler top which can be a problem.

You end up with a small exterior pick-up bed behind the top which is good for storing coolers and other things that can live outside.

I have to confess the last time I was there was in 2001, but I had a a group of 5-6 Scramblers parked next to me in a parking lot and all of them had the CJ7 top setup. These were all high end Jeeps with nice machinery conversions, and paint jobs. I thnk they were all from Colorado.

The biggest problem with buying hard tops is the shipping issue. Jeff's tops can be shipped "knocked down" which should should cut the cost of shipping a bunch, but in my case, the next problem becomes the doors. Steel doors don't fit my fibreglass 4WD Hardware body very well. I have been trying to find a set of Fiberglass doors which are kind of hens teeth. Nobody is making fiberglass doors any more, and it seems that everyones reason is that there are plenty of steel doors out there. Well this doesn't work for me.

I guess I'll just have to make my own.

Oh,,, and please don't send me the listing for the Lime Green doors on Craigs List in Atlanta. The guy is a complete flake !!! Offered to sell me the doors for $350 said we had a deal. Wouldn't/couldn't get it together to package them to ship, won't return phone calls or answer phone. Says he's a pilot,,, Not flyin' with him !!! Got no use for people who won't do what they say !

Randy

Last edited:
B

bigred1969

Randy,
Maybe there is someone on the forum who is near Atlanta and could pick them up from the guy and ship them to you. That may be a route to try, I know a lot of guys on here wouldn't hesitate to help out.

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
Red: I had the same thought. However the guy won't return or answer phone calls.

If he does surface or repost on Craigs List I'll probably be asking for help.

Randy